Oracle VM Vs VMware for hosting OAS farm - which is better?

[ QUOTE ]

Also, OAS is a dead-end. Just thought I'd keep mentioning this until folks hear it.

[/ QUOTE ]
So what you're saying Jeff is that OAS is being dropped for OWL....

I agree to this. Keep telling everyone that OAS will be dropped in favor for OWL later on - but there ARE statements from oracle allowing companies to "trade up" from OAS to OWL as part of the redstack....

I'm sure more information will be forthcoming as we see 8.98.3 come out. I'm a little worried its going to be pushed back beyond Openworld though....

So to all those who said OAS was so much better and faster than WAS I have 2 words for ya.....ha ha.

OWL and WAS could be brother and sister they're so similar.

The last time OAS did a major release you had to upgrade the tools at the same time (8.97). Hopefully they'll transition this more slowly this time.

BTW WAS has always been a sooth transition not forcing yo to do a double upgrade of the J2EE/HTML and tools at the same time.

Ok.......think I need to go drink some more Kool-Aid (can't decide between blueberry and fruit punch).

Colin

[ QUOTE ]
So to all those who said OAS was so much better and faster than WAS I have 2 words for ya.....ha ha.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good to know. I like working with WAS 6. I've never been very comfortable with OAS.

And I recommend the fruitpuch Kool-aid, because it's red of course....

[ QUOTE ]

I agree to this. Keep telling everyone that OAS will be dropped in favor for OWL later on - but there ARE statements from oracle allowing companies to "trade up" from OAS to OWL as part of the redstack....

[/ QUOTE ]

I started hearing rumblings from some Oracle employees about this over twelve months ago, shortly after Oracle acquired Weblogic. It's consistent with Oracle's philosophy. They want the best software out there. They will either write it or buy it to get to the top.

If you look at the history of OAS, it's a mashup of a bunch of different products. Which explains a lot about why the 10.x version of fusion middleware is kind of a mess. With weblogic, they purchased a stronger J2EE engine to drive their appserver and their middleware layer. My prediction - the current flavor of OAS stops at the 10g generation, and WebLogic will be the engine of the 11 G appserver.

- Gregg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good to know. I like working with WAS 6. I've never been very comfortable with OAS.

And I recommend the fruitpuch Kool-aid, because it's red of course....

[/ QUOTE ]

Working with WebLogic is remarkably similar to WebSphere. You should have no trouble converting your skillset.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I started hearing rumblings from some Oracle employees about this over twelve months ago, shortly after Oracle acquired Weblogic. It's consistent with Oracle's philosophy. They want the best software out there. They will either write it or buy it to get to the top.

If you look at the history of OAS, it's a mashup of a bunch of different products. Which explains a lot about why the 10.x version of fusion middleware is kind of a mess. With weblogic, they purchased a stronger J2EE engine to drive their appserver and their middleware layer. My prediction - the current flavor of OAS stops at the 10g generation, and WebLogic will be the engine of the 11 G appserver.

- Gregg

[/ QUOTE ]

There will not be another release of OAS.

[ QUOTE ]
List

We are moving forward with our plans for 9.0. We will be making the jump from Windows / SQL for our enterprise server to Linux / oracle 11G R2 on the Exadata server.

We previously made the decision to switch to OAS from Websphere. We have OAS in use for Europe and North America.

Here is my question for the list -

For our OAS farm (figure six OAS servers for starters with more to come), should we:

question 1)

a) go with linux for the OS?
b) go with windows for the OS?

question 2)

a) go with hardware for each OAS server?
b) go with a dedicated vm-ware server?
c) go with a dedicated Oracle VM server?

For the batch and logic servers:

a) go with clustered linux servers?
b) go with clustered windows servers?
c) slap those bad boys into the above mentioned vm host?

We are currently a windows / SQL house with a handful of Oracle databases and a few IT guys with linix experience. We will be moving over to Oracle 11G and beefing up the linux side of the house through retraining the CNCs, DBAs and Infrastructure. The question is, how much of the Oracle Kool-aid should we drink?
grin.gif
I'd like your opinions.

- Gregg "Moving from Blue Stack to Red Stack" Larkin

[/ QUOTE ]

Short answer - put everything onto an Oracle VM box, run everything in Oracle Linux...if you plan on being an Oracle customer for a long time. Everything I am hearing out in Denver this week indicates a slow, steady pressure to move customers toward the Red Kool-Aid.

Oracle VM and VM templates are very compelling. I'll be writing more about this later.

BTW, WebLogic is not a part of the Red Stack licensing. I'll be writing more about this soon as well.

Back