OMW

Wkunneke

Wkunneke

Just venting a bit.

I came from a Microsoft background 3 years ago into JD Edwards. I was used to Visual SourceSafe and used it in a project where I worked in Orlando Fl, one developer worked in Phoenex AZ and a third worked in Las Vegas. It worked really well.

When I started learning JDE development 3 years ago, I was excited about OMW, it seemed natural to me coming from the background I was accustomed.

Lately, I'd give anything NOT to have to use OMW. I just had yet another project give me a huge headache as I tried to promote it into production. OMW seems to work sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. I'm not looking for "Did you check OMW Configuration?" or "What platform are you on?". It just seems to *&*$% work when it wants to with no rhyme or reason to it. Am I the only one having this problem? I sure am glad my CNC guy grew up in the pre-OMW days and knows all the work arounds. I'm learning them and finally ready to give up on it until it works.

If you are having problems advancing the status, check out all the objects and check them all back in. OMW doesn't like it if you modify an object in another project and try to promote it in s a different project.

Nice one, I've had that happen as well, problem number 476 if I remember correctly (so many problems, who can remember them all?) Since I'm now *stuck* at a status of 26 and can't rollback, I can't try it just yet.

Must get a bigger hammer.

What kinda objects included in your project. Remove any non promotable objects(if any) from your project.

Hi,

I had the same problem with promoting some projects in OMW. From the OMW logs it appeared that 1 or 2 objects couldn't be promoted. In the jde.log there were error messages about duplicate keys in F9861 - Object Librarian.

It seemed that OMW was wanting to insert a record to F9861 rather than update and existing record.

The work around was to delete the offending record(s) in F9861 VERY CAREFULLY. The project then promoted fine.

The record that needs to be deleted is the one for the environment that you are promoting TO. I.e. if you are promoting from Dev to Prototype remove the Prototype record.

Only do this if you get the error message in the jde.log about the duplicate keys and even then backup your F9861 before you do it.

Cheers

Does your project have OL and non-OL objects?
I mean, are you trying to promote within the same project objects like Menus/UDC/NN (non-OL) and UBE (OL)?
If that is the case, I suggest you create TWO different projects; one for OL_objects and anOTHER one for non-OL_objects.
If not, you may consider providing some more details ...

Warm regards,

I've had problems promoting from time to time as well. The ever popular "general error" message. If I do nothing more than attempt the promotion again (right away mind you) it works. this can happen when going form DV to PY or PY to PD.

I have found the logging to be helpful when trying to figure out exactly which object has given me the General Error.

In OMW, highlght the project and click on the Row Exit - Logging. Click on the Find button and highlight the appropriate line - usually a Status Change line. I then click on Row Exit - Log Detail that takes me to another grid full of records. I then cycle through each line and click on Row Exit - Full Text. This can take some time as each object will create 2 or 3 lines in this grid. Eventually, I find one text that says Returned Error - 02 (Not counting the error at the project level which is usually Returned Error - 01 AND is usually the next to last line of the grid). I then verify that this object is the one causing the error(s) by removing if from the project and trying to re-promote. I haven't had this NOT work so I can't tell you what to do if this doesn't work.

Ben again

I hade something strange with omw to. Just keep in mind:) : i find out that the promotion works only with logon on DV7333. Try this! Feedback welcome.

William,

I thought I would throw another idea into the ring. Remove all the objects from your project, promote/demote to DV, add objects back into project, Check out and check in all objects and then promote to PY.

I don't have a lot of problems with OMW, certainly not as many as reported in this thread. Mostly, when ever I've received an error there has been a logical explanation. On the whole, for me OMW works quite well. It could be because we only use PY and PD (no DV ... yet, that's a long story). To do this I have had to change the configuration. Something else I've done that would probably be frowned upon, is to add the ability to transfer objects from PD to PY (our PY version of an object got corrupted - yet another long story).

Hope this helps or is at least interesting.

Few Rules to Promote the Project:

- If your project has some non-promtable objects (such as standard object, or previously created custom object which are already at 38), you wont be able to promote the whole project. Take these objects out of your project and then promote it.

- All the objects withing your project should be checked-in before you try to promote your project.

- You can NOT promote "DEFAULT" project. If you are working in default project, create new project - move all your objects from default project to newly created project. Promote the new project.

These are the few things i know about promoting the project. Hope this might help. If not, please see your CNC guy. One more thing, if you dont drop the tokens before promoting the project, it should do automatically once you promote the project.

Regards,
Alex.

Back