OLE attachment file size issue

lknet

SOLUTION ID: 201017018 : E1: MOBJ: STG File Sizes for OLE Attachments

ISSUE:
When attaching .pdf files as OLE Media Object attachments within an EnterpriseOne application, the .stg file sizes are different when users have Adobe Standard versus. Adobe Reader on their workstations. For example, I have a .pdf file that is 33 KB. When I attach the OLE object to an invoice in EnterpriseOne with a PC that has Adobe Standard, the .stg file is 44 KB. When I attach the same file to an invoice in EnterpriseOne that has Adobe Reader, the .stg file is over 1.4 MB. Both files were attached using my same user profile. Why are the file sizes different and what controls this file size for an STG file?

SOLUTION:
The STG file does not know the difference between the Adobe Reader and the full version of Adobe. An STG file is a Microsoft implementation. With an STG file Microsoft is creating a folder system within the file system. The STG file can store multiple documents. Therefore, this method contains more information stored into the STG file than a normal file. The STG file will have the information on the program the other document is using for example Word, Excel. Etc. When the STG needs to open the document inside it, it knows what program it needs to use to open the document.

The STG File also acts like the Database. It contains the transaction processing. Which means that when the document is open for update, it makes a copy of that document. Sometime, the customer will see the STG file double the size, then later it will go back to the original size. This is all controlled by the STG Implementation of the Microsoft product.

SPECIFIC TO: EnterpriseOne

For pdf file, tested that a file which is 39KB will become 1.5MB, about 40x over existing file size. For word document, tested that a file which is 300KB will become 900KB, about 3x over existing file size.

According to the Oracle's solution, this is Microsoft STG file that cause the outcome.

Anyway that can do to reduce the file size?

I tested using tif, jpg and gif files. The result of these 3 file types is acceptable as the end result added 5KB to its original file.

For file size, GIF < JPG < TIF.

For image quality, GIF < JPG < TIF.

I am using EnterpriseOne 8.11, tool release 8.96_D1.

Back