OAS and Horizontal Clustering

Soul Glo

Soul Glo

VIP Member
I am in the process of installing 4 new OAS servers for my PROD environment, we currently run on WAS 6.0. I am looking to configure horizontal clusters and end up with 8 JVM's and 8.98.1.2.1 using web cache. I have 2 documents from Oracle 1 regarding web cache and the other is clustering on 8.97. I wanted to find out if during the installation of OAS on the non primary server, do I also need to install HTTP that comes with OAS on all servers? In WAS HTTP is only installed on 1 server when you are clustering is this the same for OAS or do you install on all and just not have them running.

Well, you could install one HTTP server and multiple application instances in OAS 10.1.3 cluster, but that HTTP server will be your single point of failure. So, it is recommended to have HTTP server installed on each instance of OAS.

In that case do I need to have them all running or can I use 1 and have the other 3 for failover? Or should I have webcache port on the different HTTP servers?

It depends on user load and your license agreement. You can have all running together (Active/Active Cluster)doing automatic failover and loadbalancing. You need a load balancer in front of them to balance the user requests. You can hardware loadbalancer or OAS Webcache as load balancer. In Webcache you will create a site that the user will connect to and define all of your server addresses in origin servers. Hardware load balancer is recommended, but they are very expensive and Webcache can be used as interim solution.

So I can have all 4 HTTP servers running as a failove and then use webcache as the load balance to route the users to the individual JVM's?

With WAS I only had 1 HTTP running in the NDM cluster, that is why I am a little off on how OAS will react to multiple HTTP servers running.

That is not good to hear....I have finished the configuration but for some reason webcache is not routing to the alias I created for the cluster. it is instead taking me to the main OAS page instead of the E1 login page.

So I got my cluster configured and it appears to be working and load balancing. No my only last nagging questions is
confused.gif
Does anyone know how to do DNS re-direct using an OAS Cluster. I have tried a process similar to what I currently have working in WAS but it is not working in OAS. Currently in my PD WAS configuration all my users have to do is type in "aijdepf" no port nothing, in OAS it is forcing me to type in 'aijdepd2:90/jde/E1Menu.maf' I don't want that because once I move this into my live PROD I want my users to keep their current url favorite of 'aijdepd'.

Thanks for any information on how to make this work. I have 4 web servers clustered using WebCache.

I believe you have to have your network guys set-up a Virtual IP address and then you can use web cache to capture the VIP and route traffic to the individual instances.

I have the DNS alias pointing to the IP of the webcache server on the network side.

Back