My rant for today....

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
I'm getting a little peeved at companies' consultants/employees/offshore developers/analysts coming onto JDEList, asking a question and getting an answer - then disappearing without a word of thanks.

I'm getting really dismayed at the abuse of JDEList by these people. I think that at the very least, if someone gets an answer that helps them solve a critical business issue, that some sort of gratification should be returned - whether it is in a donation via Paypal to Eric (or even a nominated charity) or some knowledge returned to JDEList.

Actually, my suggestion, thinking about it, if Eric doesn't need the cash (which I'm sure he does to continue running and marketing JDEList) - then perhaps we, as JDEListers, could vote each month for a charity which grateful donators could contribute towards. The more answers we Listers have helped with, the higher our vote. Perhaps even based on a "Star" based voting system...?

Just a thought.

In the meantime, Eric, can you not put a paypal "donate to JDEList" link on the front page ? That way, once people have had their questions answered, we could point them subtly towards the paypal donate button.....

I agree with the issue, particularly the value that the final solution could add to the List in the future. I like the positive nature of your solution. Unfortunately, it may be tough to enforce.

The negative side would be a "List of Shame" where those who respond to a post that is not updated by the original poster can put that user on the list. Responders to future posts could review the List of Shame and decide how much effort to invest in posts by that user.

Maybe have a counter next to the name, that counts each time someone put that person on the List of Shame. Adding someone to the list would require adding the userid and the post number. This way, if eight responders put the perosn on the list for the same post, it only counts as one. Then, on every original post, put a counter next to the userid which is 'x out of y'.

x = number of posts that people added to the List of Shame for that user
y = number of posts originated by that user

This would show that there is a difference between a poster who is a chronic abuser and someone who forgot.

example, a 2 out of 3 is likely someone who doesn't follow up while a 2 out of 50 is likely someone who went on vacation or got buried in an implementation for a while and didn't get back in time in a couple cases.

This eventually could evolve into a rating system (like eBay, but simpler than Experts Exchange which can get crazy) either good or bad for all JDEListers, but that would take much time and effort to build.

How is that for a long rambling thought? Make it better!

Jer

Jon,

Even though I don't add a fraction of what you or others contribute, I totally agree with your frustration. One time I called out one of these jokers in a thread where you were responding.
I think some kind of rating system would be valuable, my 2 cents. And maybe post the IP address from where the user registered...

Thank you all for your contributions!

-Ethan

Totally understandable. I may have even been guilty of this in past and for that I apologize. I have had many issues with JDE (both World and E1) and have posted many times on this set of forums. Although not as involved as other members, there's still a few posts and solutions out there.

In all honesty, I think I get better results (at times) from JDELIST than metalink, or my oracle support, or whatever they're calling it these days. Much faster turnaround time at least.

In conclusion, I think maybe potential users should be more aware that online forums help them and contribute to general knowledge on the internet. If they can grasp that concept, more people may donate to it.

I always thank contributors for postings that help and even those that do not.

I do get a little perplexed when a nine-ten year experienced JDE professional such as myself has to wait hours and days for someone to moderate my post, whether I am asking for help or giving it. I suppose that there may be good reasons for that, perhaps more applicable to those posters that really do need moderation, but that does not make me feel any better. And on top of that, a couple hours after I do submit a post for moderation, I receive six to ten out of office replies from people I do not even know.

That is my rant for the day.

Back