Multiple Addresses in Address Book - why?

KKJ70

Well Known Member
Okay .. I hope I will have better luck here...

[ QUOTE ]
I have been trying to explain to the users as to why each address has its own address book number. It has been over 10 years since I had training & used JDE .. and that was OneWorld .. now using E1 .. so I can not recall all the juicy tidbits as to why the system is setup this way .. other than almost everything starts with AB.

What is being requested is to use one address number per tax id and use alternate address for the different addresses.

Besides all the report re-write that I would have to do,

1) what are some reasons or purposes as to why each address needs its own AB number?

2) what disasters could using alternate addresses cause?

ANY input is greatly appreciated!!!!!
smile.gif

~Kelli

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I would post this type a question (100%_application_related) on the apps forum (not on developers)
tongue.gif

Apps people tend to be familiar with many more functional "juicy tidbits" than developers are
cool.gif

PS Not that developers are totally insensitive to the functional "juicy tidbits"
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You can create 1 parent address that has Tax ID.

Let's take an example : You have a vendor that has an Head office in Location 1 ( I call it Office-1). And other 2 offices in Location 2 and Location 3 ( I callit as Office-2, Office-3).

Scenario 1 : All have same Tax ID.

You can Create 3 address books.
AB-1 - Office 1 (Give Tax Id to this one)
AB-2 - Office 2
AB-3 - Office 3

Using the Parent-Child relationship, link the Office 1 as Parent for AB2 and AB3. AB2 and AB3 may be used for Purchase, Shipping, Communication etc. However for financials like recording a PO, or SO or entering voucher, you can use AB1, so that you can roll up the total for your financials by vendor. Also in Sales / AR, you can have inquiry by parent.

You can then correlate the addresses or define the Org structure for Address Book with the help of program P0150.

Scenario 2 :
You have 3 locations that have 3 different Tax Id's.

In this case also you will open 3 Address books, you can record transactions for 3 locations separately, and report them together with the help of Parent Child relationship.

Generally, AB is used for tracking all types of addresses. It may not necessarily be only your vendor offices. Sometimes, even to identify the contact person on a vendor location. Just in case if you are using CRM, You would want to send a greeting card or invite depending on the industry you are in. This does not necessarily mean you need to record their SSN/Tax Id etc.

It all based on what your customer needs are !! That's how you setup your AB.

I agree completely.
Our sales, accounting and purchasing departments want to only have 1 number per tax ID and setup additional addresses in Who's Who Alternate Address, which would require who knows how many report changes to pull the correct address.

I am totally against this idea, but am not having any luck getting the point across as to all the problems it would create .. I don't know all the problems and was hoping to get some input from others.?.

One issue we have had is AP selecting the correct vendor address related to the PO when processing an invoice for payment. I am just getting into how the AP stuff is setup for us.

Is there not a way that AP can just enter the PO#, find the Open Receipt and go from there? I have tried this and got nothing. Could something not be setup correctly?

The first question that needs to be answered is what is the purpose of these other addresses. If there will be any transactions including physical (Sales order, purchase order, Drop Ship) and/or financial (credit memo, adjustments) for that location a separate address is a must. It will save time on transaction entry (user will not have to select/type shipping address), it will make detailed reporting easier (i.e. Sales by state where the parent is in another state, tax/audit reporting...).

If the address is only going to be used for correspondence, than an alternate address works fine.

Try to have them look/think long term. The "hassle" of setting up separate address book records will be worth it over the coming years of activity. A proper Address Book is absolutely critical to being flexible and efficient. Our implementation neglected the Address Book and we still struggle with the inefficiencies created then. We were fortunate that the Sales and Purchasing consultants were strong in Address Book for their modules, but the Who's Who and contacts were not properly set up.

I strongly recommend you find a consulting partner who knows Address Book to help illustrate the pitfalls of some of these decisions.

Jer

Back