Mission Posting Numbers within Digest Emails

meadek

The posting numbers used to be included in the posting header within the digest emails (and non-digest emails, I think), but these don't appear to be included any more.

Is there a chance this feature will be restored? I used these all the time for quick post lookups.

It may be on the fix-list already, since it seems several other issues popped up during the migration.

Just curious - Thanks!

Was this just the post number at the end of the subject line?

I'm going to assume it is and add it. I've missed today's digest but it should show up tomorrow.

Re: Missing Posting Numbers within Digest Emails

Hi Bud - I think it actually was after the date stamp and was surrounded by parens.

I located some code that seemed to reference this number. It indicated it was on the subject line. I'll add the parens.

You stated that this number was used to quickly look up the post. A link to the entire thread is part of the message. Would you prefer an additional link to the specify reply post? Perhaps Eric would consider adding one if there was a need.

Thanks Bud - the digest versions have never (in my recollection) included a link to the post - only the posting number. I think the non-digest versions do include an actual link.

A direct link to the post would be great in the digest, but the posting number would be fine as well.

Thanks!

Bud,

I have recently made a couple of post on this and related issues. Please look at post 142824 and 143042.

I also note that subscribed posts now have the post number in the email subject. However the link inside the email to the actual post is still broken.

I'm unable to reproduce the issue with the broken links. The subscriptions are not unique emails for each user but rather sent out in blocks to number of subscribers. If this is a problem on the host side, I would expect a number of reports. Perhaps it does fail for other but they just are not reporting it or perhaps it is an interface issue with the email client you are using.

Does anyone else encounter broken links in email subscriptions?

I thought I would (belatedly) update this thread.

Bud fixed the problem a month ago. Thanks again Bud. The problem was as follows:

This works:
href=http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=OWDEV&Number=142731

This doesn't work:
href=http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=&Board="Apps"&Number="143445"

It was the inverted commas around the board value and the number value that caused the problem. The inverted commas weren't there before the outage on 9th February 2009. For some reason my email client (Outlook 2007) and the yahoo email web client did not like the inverted commas.

Back