Media Object Viewer not working in IE8

gregcoad

Since installing Internet Explorer 8, I am unable to view or edit text (rtf) attachments in JDE EnterpriseOne. When trying to view a text attachment I get the following message (or view attached png):

"This media object is not viewable on this type of browser. Please download the media object file to your local machine and open it with an appropriate application."

There is a link below this message that allows me to download the attached text file and open it in MS Word or similar app. Which doesn't do me much good.

Before "upgrading" to IE8 it was possible to view and edit the text attachment within the browser window.

When I first encountered this problem, I rolled back to IE7, which worked for a few days, but now I cannot access any of the applications at all with IE7. I think that this is probably due to something that was done on the server end of things (the server probably upgraded to IE8 too).

Has anyone else run across this and found any solutions?

Attachments

• 150710-JDE E1 Media Object Viewer Error.png
    150710-JDE E1 Media Object Viewer Error.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 223
I don't know how to find out what our Tools Release level is. I'm sorry, I'm just a helpless user looking for a solution to a problem that our administrator has so far been unable to solve. I know that we are running EnterpriseOne 8.97.1.1 but I don't think I have access to the Tools Release information.

I believe you have to be on tools release 8.98 in order for IE8 to work.
Tools 8.97 corrected the same issue with IE7.

I would recommend you uninstall IE8 and re-install IE7 and I think you
will find your problem will be corrected.

Steve Catalano
Information Systems Manager
Arlon Inc.
1100 Governor Lea Road
Bear, De 19701

(P) 1-800-635-9333 Ext 233
(F) 1-302-834-4021
(C) 1-407-221-0288

This e-mail is confidential and is intended only for the named
recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential work product or exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.
Thank you.

On Behalf Of gregcoad
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 5:25 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Media Object Viewer not working in IE8

I don't know how to find out what our Tools Release level is. I'm sorry,
I'm just a helpless user looking for a solution to a problem that our
administrator has so far been unable to solve. I know that we are
running EnterpriseOne 8.97.1.1 but I don't think I have access to the
Tools Release information.

8.97.1.1 is a tools release level, and you will indeed run into this issue with IE8.

There is a workaround, however, that will still let you access media objects. There is a compatibility setting in IE8 which tells IE8 to process web pages like IE7 did, and setting that compatibility mode worked great for us.

See the following link for additional details:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/easier.aspx

Basically, in the compatibility settings, you tell your system which domain(s) to treat like IE7.

Thanks for the valuable feedback everyone.

When I first encountered this problem, I went back to IE7 which worked. My Windows laptop then decided to automatically update itself to IE8 without my knowledge. I thought, no problem, I'll just go back to IE7 again and turn off automatic updates. When I went back to IE7 however, I was completely unable to launch an application within E1. I could log in no problem, but could not launch an application. A new application window would open and I would see the "Opening Application" message for an indefinate amount of time and the application would not open. I wonder if this is because in attempting to solve our issue, our administrator upgraded to the new tool release, rendering IE7 useless.

So now when I try compatibility view in IE8, simulating IE7, I get the same problem, applications will not open at all.

When I try normal IE8 view, I get the media object not viewable problem.

Any more hints anyone? I'm surprised that there isn't a million users having this same issue given the wide release of IE8. I've been scouring the internet for similar forum posts and this seems to be the only one.

You might search My Oracle Support's knowledge base for solution # 201042032 (Doc ID 654767.1). This talks about dll registration that can cause apps to hang.

Back