Material Issues

mcmurtl

We have our manufacturing items set up to replenish via visual KanBans utilizing material issues (not to a work order) instead of backflush. We want to expand the material issue process (not to a work order)to our purchased components of which we currently use MRP for replenishment. Eventually, we want these set up as KanBan also. However, in all probability there will always be a need to use MRP in one form or another. My question is, does anyone have a suggestion on how to handle the demand that shows up on open work orders since we are not issuing to the work order, therefore, the material is used but demand is not satisfied?

There was a White Paper, knocking around a couple of years ago, suggesting a procedure for "Free Issue" stock but I don't think there was much functionality behind the scenes. It is all linked to the Issue Type Code.

However, if it is on the BoM and you want to plan for it then you HAVE to Issue it. Free Issue stock is envisioned for use with low cost consumables replenished via Re-Order Point (ie, non MRP).

But there is a trick you may want to try.... The MRP should stop planning against the BoM once a Parts List is attached to the WO. You could use the "M" Type BoM for the MRP (as it is hard coded) but then use a different BoM Type in P48013. Hence, when the Parts List is attached it excludes the consumables (because you omit them from the non M Type BoM).

Let me know if this works.

What is the moment where you do not want the work order to generate demand anymore?
When this moment is signified with a status change, you could just make sure to not have this status (and the ones beyond) included in the Supply/Demand inclusion rules.

Regards,
Jan Jaap

Mark,
Thanks for the input. We are pursuing your suggestion and I will let you
know the results.

Thomas L. McMurdy
Manufacturing Business System Lead
[email protected]
(724) 588-2000 extension 2771

Jan,
Thanks for your input. We are going to pursue testing this concept. I
will inform you of our results.

Thomas L. McMurdy
Manufacturing Business System Lead
[email protected]
(724) 588-2000 extension 2771

No, this won't work because the WO SUPPLY will no longer be visible either. MRP will plan for a new WO. With a new Parts List... and Demand the same Parts List parts all over again!

Back
Top Bottom