Live from the Chuck Phillips Keynote at Collaborate 2007

Lyle Ekdahl presentation

JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Directions: Customer Movement, Product Investment and Business Value. The Applications and Technology Key Note Address.
Lyle Ekdahl, Oracle Corporation

2009 – ERP 9.0 will be released. They will skip 8.13 and go to 9.0

They are building operability for Fusion – they are emphasizing coexistence between JDE and Fusion.

There have been thousands of enhancements, 19 new products. EX – enhancements to Sales Order Management. In 8.12, they are improving the address book. Lots of enhancements in technology and performance. They are looking at compliance and the ability to report on the application.

In 9.0 – they are emphasizing fusion integration, defining the common objects to get JDE to “play with AIA”. They are working to integrate JDE to the common object philosophy to integrate. They are dramatically improving Order to Cash and the Order Fulfillment Workbench. They are improving Kit Processing and Configurator.

Fusion infusion across tools

Tools 8.95 – fusion middleware certified – portal, bpel, apps server. Sso
Tools 8.96 – xml publisher (output formatting) – nice clean desktop tools to create reports.

Oracle Accelerate – building tools to deal with configuration. - this is a set of tools to consolidate multiple instances of to create new instances.

In ERP 9 – they are working on integrating Business Intelligence into the application. They are building dashboards and other analyticals.

They are integrating to G log, a tool for transportion and logistics planning.

Re: Lyle Ekdahl presentation

HA !

Vilified at long last !

I've been telling companies to hold off Xe->8.12 upgrades this year because of the ERP9.0 announcement. Now, more than likely that date will slip somewhat (although Oracle seem to actually deliver based on their dates for versions) - but if I were a customer wondering what to do with my Xe implementation right now, I'd be planning a 2010 upgrade.

Now, this does take money out of my mouth too - after all, upgrades are bread and butter for CNC consultants - but think about what you (the customer) really need from an upgrade, and why you're going that route - and the 9.0 upgrade makes more sense realistically.

The big push I've seen so far from Oracle is a consistent driving message to the fabled "Fusion" future - but this year, theres a little more meat behind some of the directives to get there. Before today, it was pretty much "well, I guess I'd better upgrade 'cos it'll be easier to get to fusion" - even though there was no absolute message from Oracle about whether the newer EnterpriseOne products WOULD provide better upgrade paths - after all, why would it be better than Xe ?!

But now 9.0 means we have a real direction and stepping-off point towards Fusion. So far, details are sketchy about what EnterpriseOne 9.0 really delivers - but I would suspect that there will be a marketing push towards Oracles' other products to help users towards Fusion.

I'm certainly looking forward to 9.0 - I have been for a while, and I have told my Xe customers to hold off (unless they need functional improvements) until more details are forthcoming. After all, you're still supported until 2013 !

Sure, I rib some of the statements that come out of Oracle - but realistically I feel this is probably the best future I've seen for OneWorld in the past 7 years...

As Borat would say...."niiiice".....

Re: Lyle Ekdahl presentation

omigawdIjustmetthelegendGreggLarkininperson...

Imayneverwashthishandagain...

Seriously though, this is a great opportunity to meet the guys and gals that dish the information (and the laughs)...

Back