Linux development box (bsfn development)

ONYX

ONYX

Well Known Member
We are migrating from Windows on Enterprise server to Linux (Oracle Enterprise Linux 6).
There are several Windows API specific bsfn’s those must be replicated to Linux.
Is it possible to set Linux development workstation with bsfn’s development/build/debug functionality?
E.g. I would prefer to be able develop/build/debug/run bsfn’s on local Linux client without server package build/deploy/debug – which is from my point of view is great overhead.
I have found only one document on knowledge garden regarding Linux bsfn’s development/debug “Debugging a Business Function on a Linux Server [ID 1153147.1]”.

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's not possible.
All of your BSFN development has to be done from a
MS Windows PC running MS Visual Studio.

Yeah you are probably going to be stuck debugging on the server. However, I wonder if it would be possible to "develop" on the server as well???

<<wondering and typing at the same time>>> Could you:

1. put the BSFNs into a server pkg and build the package.
2. debug on the server
3. edit the source files in the package folders directly on the server
4. re-submit the same package to force a re-compile/re-link of the bsfns
5. goto step 2
6. Once code is working copy source files from server to local dev pc and checkin

Does resubmitting the package rebuild/recopy the package folders and source from the deployment server?
It does, dosn't it.

Wonder if after step 3 you could effectively mannually recompile/relink the source on the server using the makefiles that got generated during the package build instead of re-submitting the package????

Otherwise I guess you just have to edit the source on the local pc, checkin, resubmit package. I have done plenty of debugging on windows based enterprise servers doing this exact thing. Very tedious.

== There are several Windows API specific bsfn’s those must be replicated to Linux.

Can I ask why you have Windows specific API in your business functions? If you use ANSI C and JDE API, it should compile on all platforms, client and server. You should not have to retrofit bsfn code if you switch platforms.

Back