E8.12 Length of data item - ALPH/MLNM

Rauf

Rauf

VIP Member
The fields ALPH ( or MLNM) is 40 character length. These fields are the major fields used to store name related to an address book ( in F0101, F0111 etc).
Now, what is the best way to store name which is more than 40 characters (say 100 char name)?
My options are :
1. Use text attachment
2. Create custom table

I want to stay away from both because it needs additional processing.
Is there any better way to achieve ?

You haven't given enough info on where this is entered or where it's then used afterwards. There's 101 ways to do it, but give us more info into whats going on (the request)

ALIAS K74LMN is long mailing name (100 long) and it lives in an address book tag table (F74R101T)
Maybe link to that?

Hi John,

My task will be related to address book tables. I need to save a customer name with length around 50 characters. This name will be printed on a custom invoice.
For the time being, I planned to save the name in two columns ( Who's who F0111.ALPH, F0111.MLNM)

Thank you very much for mentioning the F74R101T.

Hi John,

My task will be related to address book tables. I need to save a customer name with length around 50 characters. This name will be printed on a custom invoice.
For the time being, I planned to save the name in two columns ( Who's who F0111.ALPH, F0111.MLNM)

Thank you very much for mentioning the F74R101T.
No problem.
I gathered that :) I was just wondering where you required to do this. Is it from P01012 or another way of entering F0101 records (or F03012)

50 is long for a customer name mind as F0111 etc already have 40 length fields for you to use. But if it is 50, start from the back at position 40 and go back through the string checking for a space. The first one you find, chop the end of the 50 byte string off. Save it in another field (many to chose from) The remainder goes into ALPH or even somewhere else.

F0111 has ALPH and ALP1 (secondary alpha name) REM1, ATTL, SLNM etc Maybe use 2 of these???

When you print you label just get both and join

Last edited:
No problem.
I gathered that :) I was just wondering where you required to do this. Is it from P01012 or another way of entering F0101 records (or F03012)

50 is long for a customer name mind as F0111 etc already have 40 length fields for you to use. But if it is 50, start from the back at position 40 and go back through the string checking for a space. The first one you find, chop the end of the 50 byte string off. Save it in another field (many to chose from) The remainder goes into ALPH or even somewhere else.

F0111 has ALPH and ALP1 (secondary alpha name) REM1, ATTL, SLNM etc Maybe use 2 of these???

When you print you label just get both and join

This way, I go :)

In F0111, I use ALPH, ALP1 to store name in English and MLNM, MLN1 to store name in Arabic.

Back