E9.2 Latitude and Longitude in the Address Book

Stank1964

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever made this work with Orchestrator? Based on the Oracle support site, apparently Oracle supports this with BSSV. We're not a BSSV customer and will likely never be. In keeping with Oracle's strategy of half-hearted and incomplete delivery, Oracle has not found a way (to date) to support lat/long with ORCH. Has anyone delved into this using ORCH and if so, how did you pull it off?

Thanks.

Hi Stank1964,

You seem pretty steamed. Sometimes talking to Oracle leaves me pretty steamed too. I think for anyone to help you, we need a lot more information about what you are trying to do.

What Tools release are you on? Oracle is rolling out enhancements to Orchestrator every year, the release you are on greatly affects what options are available to solve your problem.

What are you trying to do with the Latitude and Longitude in the address book? How have you tried to do it so far and what walls are you running into?

Regards,
Ellen

Hi Ellen.

Oh. Steamed? I am not sure I would say that. Let's call it vocally disappointed. AS E1 customers, we're collectively paying dearly for the system that is largely not changed and that has been that way for years. The development disappoints me the most with it's almost comical, cartoon-ish and unprofessional interface.

To the best of my knowledge, the BSSV implementation will retrieve the lat/long for the address and store it in E1. That would be helpful. I want to do this so that we can store those values centrally and then push them out to website(s) to display where our customers might be able to buy our products.

Thanks. Stan

Stan,
I have not used the BSSV feature to populate lat and long as described by Oracle, but I have used Orchestrator to pull geolocation information real time and populate it into the address book.

My use case was where a user might partially enter data into a new or existing address book record and, either as a result of tabbing out of a field or hitting a button that I added on a form extension, a standardized address would populate. The user would then review and hit the save button if good. So, for example, if they put in a zip code and tabbed out of the field it would populate city, state and county.

I used Bing's API (virtualearth.net) since the sign-up process seemed easier but Google has a very similar (and probably superior) service. The data returned from Bing included lat and long although I didn't need them for what I was doing. I would think one could use the returned lat and long to update the F0119 or any other file in which you want to hold it via a logical extension.

Not sure if this would get you anywhere closer to your goal but hopefully it helps.

Mark, this is the approach I would take. Use a solid API to get what you want. USPS has something, Google, etc.

These APIs are very performant and you can do things like presuggestion/autofill.

Stan,
I have not used the BSSV feature to populate lat and long as described by Oracle, but I have used Orchestrator to pull geolocation information real time and populate it into the address book.

My use case was where a user might partially enter data into a new or existing address book record and, either as a result of tabbing out of a field or hitting a button that I added on a form extension, a standardized address would populate. The user would then review and hit the save button if good. So, for example, if they put in a zip code and tabbed out of the field it would populate city, state and county.

I used Bing's API (virtualearth.net) since the sign-up process seemed easier but Google has a very similar (and probably superior) service. The data returned from Bing included lat and long although I didn't need them for what I was doing. I would think one could use the returned lat and long to update the F0119 or any other file in which you want to hold it via a logical extension.

Not sure if this would get you anywhere closer to your goal but hopefully it helps.
So you customized JDE to call the API with Orchestrator based on specific event(s) on the form?

Stan,
I used a Form Extension UDO, so it wasn't a classic modification to the interactive application but essentially, yes.

I created a connector out to Bing and added it into an orchestration. I did some formatting, etc, in the orchestration - for example Bing would bring back the county value with the word "County" at the end but we wanted just the county name. But it was window dressing, basically.

In the form extension I added a button and associated the orchestration to the button that allowed the user to manually call it using what might be partially filled in information on the form. I also called the orchestration automatically on Postal Code - Control Exited in the same Form Extension.

For an added touch I added a CAFE1 layout that mapped out the location on Google maps right next to the form that the users seemed to like.

We are at TR 9.2.8.1 now, so not sure what is available to you with respect to UDOs on your tools release so your specifics might be different.

Stan,
I used a Form Extension UDO, so it wasn't a classic modification to the interactive application but essentially, yes.

I created a connector out to Bing and added it into an orchestration. I did some formatting, etc, in the orchestration - for example Bing would bring back the county value with the word "County" at the end but we wanted just the county name. But it was window dressing, basically.

In the form extension I added a button and associated the orchestration to the button that allowed the user to manually call it using what might be partially filled in information on the form. I also called the orchestration automatically on Postal Code - Control Exited in the same Form Extension.

For an added touch I added a CAFE1 layout that mapped out the location on Google maps right next to the form that the users seemed to like.

We are at TR 9.2.8.1 now, so not sure what is available to you with respect to UDOs on your tools release so your specifics might be different.
Thanks for the details with all of the specifics. Might anyone know where JDE “naturally” stores the lat/long values for an address?

Stan,
When using BSSV they are stored in F0119 in PXNLATT and PXNLONG.

Since I am not using lat and long retrieval per se, I ran a quick test in my sandbox and SQL'd a row into the table with PXAN8 to key it to a record and it seemed to work. To view lat and long on the screen I had to add and enable the system control SY01L, Enable Location Services in P99410 but after that the lat and long were visible for the address book record I added.

There didn't appear to be a major issues from the minimal testing I did but I have to caution that I don't know what other impact, if anything, this would have. So you will want to make sure nothing else gets negatively impacted by enabling the control and inserting the data if you move forward.

Back