JDE and RedHat

jdecnc

jdecnc

Well Known Member
Is anybody running EnterpriseOne from a Linux Client? If so, what are the advantages/disadvantages? I have a Client that has some interest in do it so any feedback would be great.

Regards,

Robby

ok - your question is a little vague, since there are a number of different answers. Could you be a little more specific ?

If you mean "is anyone connecting to the EnterpriseOne JAS Server using a Linux-based browser as a client" - then the answer is yes. I have actually used KDE's browser (which is identical under all KDE Desktops of course) to connect to OneWorld - and it actually works pretty well. So does Netscape of course. The only time it gets tricky is for items like media objects. The advantage to using Linux as a client is cost - you don't have to pay a penny for any of the client software !

If your question is "Linux client running Citrix client connecting to a Citrix server that is running Enterprise One" - the answer again is yes ! This is real easy - and works perfectly of course. There really isn't much advantage here, since you still have to pay Microsoft money for a Client OS license.

If, however, your question is "Linux client running a Windows Emulator (WINE) running Enterprise One Win32 applications" - the answer is no. I don't think it would work too well. The advantage would be cost - but the difficulties of supporting WINE are purely for the gear-heads !

However, if you're asking if anyone has run EnterpriseOne as a server on Linux - then there are a bunch of answers !

There are many advantages of using Linux or Open-source Operating systems - and there are literally thousands of whitepapers that discuss both sides of the issues. Ultimately its what you're comfortable with. Linux is not really suitable as a client (and Redhat is the most microsoft-like OS based on Linux) - its much more suitable as a server-based OS for its reliability, security, speed and scalability.

I am actually talking about running EnterpriseOne on a RedHat Client with the Logic server being a RedHat Advanced Server with MySQL. I was unaware of it until recently but PeopleSoft has made the commitment to extend support to the Linux platform. Here is an article that I was pointed to and then I was asked is anybody doing it.

http://www5.peoplesoft.com/Events.nsf/0/2012942E2C535D3088256E4C007854EC?OpenDocument

Hope this helps with my question.

Regards,

Robby

There is an announcement on the Knowledge Garden under teh Tech Flashes - BUT - to find it check the 2004 Archive because it was released in May and the "Recent Tech Flash" bit hasn't been updated since the end of April!

OK - first of all, the Windows Client Code will never be supported under Linux - there are way too many Windows calls for Peoplesoft to port, and it is incredibly unlikely they will re-commit to the Java client again.

However, the JAS server, as I mentioned before, already works perfectly well under Linux - and I am using FreeBSD and Redhat successfully with this for development and testing purposes - even though it is many times faster than other platforms.

As for Database support - JDE only recently introduced support for UDB (a couple of years back) and this customer base has increased, albeit relatively slowly. The push towards Linux has come from the IBM camp, so the initial support for a Linux Logic Server will be on UDB (but obviously, Oracle will work perfectly well as well - just like any other Unix server). MySQL - in my opinion - will not be supported for several years. The reason for this is because although MySQL has improved dramatically in the last couple of years, it is still considered in the software industry from being far from a massively multi-user database architecture in the same vein as Oracle, DB2 or Microsoft SQL Server. It operates very competitively against MS Access - but other opensource database engines are much better architected including PostgressSQL. Peoplesoft will unlikely support anything but a "mainstream" database - and although MySQL is being used by everyone for Database Access on websites - the size of these databases are usually miniscual when compared to an ERP database.

More work in the community with MySQL would have to be completeted to raise its scalability in this effort - especially with network interfaces (such as OCI and ODBC).

Linux support was only announced VERY recently. I do not expect to see Linux support in the product until towards the end of this year with ERP 8.9 Service Pack 3 (23 on Xe/8.0) - and likely support will only start with 8.10 customers.

Of course, although I "dabble" and deploy within development and test environments - I wouldn't deploy into production until I had confirmation that someone had beaten me to the punch ! Never be a "guineapig" I always say !

I have published my whitepaper on my website that explains how to install OneWorld JAS Servers under Linux - those few that bravely attended Quest Global last week were able to obtain copies before everyone else ! (Thanks for coming guys ! Especially Sully !)

Jon

Your presentation at Quest was great and very informative. It was great meeting you! As you might remember I work for a public sector entity and we're pretty chicken when it comes to the bleeding edge (We were one of the first OW installs). We have quite a few techs here in ISD that are very pro Linux, unfortunately they don't wear the management hat. I look forward to your abundant wisdom on this board.

Patty

Jon,

Have you messed around yet with using MySQL as the repository? At one time I had the JDBC driver for MySQL but never tested it out.

Back