Java App Servers

jgersic93

Due to budgetary constraints it looks like my company is not going to be
able to purchase an 'official' java server such as Websphere.. The interest
is still there, however for a web client. Therefore I am looking into
possibly using other java servers that are less expensive. Has anyone
successfully implemented a different java server other than Websphere?
Just searching the web, I see a number of neat third party Java servers,
and theoretically JDE should be able to be hosted off of it, but wanted to
hear of any real-life scenarios.

Thanks,
John

-------------------------------------
OneWorld B733.3 (XE)
SP 19.1_B1, Update 6
Win2k Server SP3
SQL 2000, SP2
Metaframe XPa v1.0/SP3
-------------------------------------

Good luck. ;)

I don't envy you. Ttrying to support a configuration that will not be supported by JDE is a bad idea. Web is still a somewhat flakely platform. Trying to take this unsupported configureation into a production enviroment is probably a good recipe for failure.

Have you looked into the possibility of getting the Technology Foundation pack from JDE? It includes WebSphere 4.0 as well as the Portal Server and LDAP. Supposedly at a fraction of the cost from IBM.

Anyone else know more about this or have experience here?

John,
My company, CDI offers ERP2Web, an alternative to Websphere. It's fully integrated with the OneWorld Address Book, Item Masters & Sales Order programs (through Master Busines Functions). It's a complete Storefront, B2B and/or B2C solution at a fraction of the cost (software and services) of Websphere. Check out one of our ERP2Web / OW Xe customers.... Briggs Corp. at www.briggscorp.com. Go to "online catalog" and drill down to some items... part#, short/long description comes from JDE realtime. With a "login" you'd be seeing pricing (factors advanced pricing) availability, the shopping cart & checkout. Notify me if you'd like a white paper on this product.

[email protected]
www.cdiconsulting.com

Back