JAS patch/upgrade

m_e_wade

I'm looking for some experience here.

I moved from Xe/8.0 installations to a 8.11 install (Sun/Oracle/Sun JAS server). We're currently on SP 8.94_E1 and need to move to 8.94_L1 (current SP One-Off).

I had hoped that 8.11 might have improved the SP upgrade on JAS. On Xe doing the SP on the Deployment server/Client and the Enterprise server (at least on Unix/Windows) was easy, but you had to do a complete reinstall of JAS to upgrade the JAS server.

It looks like that is still the case on 8.11. At least I can't find anything that shows me an easy way to upgrade a SP on 8.11.

So my questions are:

If there is an easy (official) way to upgrade a JAS server, could someone point the way?

If not, has anyone developled an unofficial way to shortcut this process?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

-MEW

There are two pieces to a service pack upgrade on JAS- the file portion and the WAS configuration portion. We are really only interested in the file portion. So, instead of doing what Oracle suggests and redoing your entire JAS setup, you skip the part you don't want.

Disclaimer: Don't do this if you are not comfortable with the theory behind the process.

Step 1- Run the install process on a completely separate WAS system to allow the files to be written.
Step 2- Copy the files to the webservers, replacing the file structure that is in place.
Step 3- Change a bunch of jas.ini, web.xml, etc. files
Step 4- Profit!

The details are easy to fill in. I tried to get JDE, PS, ORCL to SAR this and break the install into two parts but they would not do it. I am not going to spend a huge amount of time detailing the exact steps of a broken vendor process. I wish I could be more help but I simply don't have the time. If someone is interested in having me perform this process on your system for a small fee while documenting the entire process I would be glad to- just send me a message.

The official way is that you have to uninstall the instance and then reinstall the instance if you want the same port number. You can always just install on a different port and proxy users to the new port number. Once you have users up on the new port you can uninstall the old port.

In tools 8.95 you'll have an update feature for JAS so no more uninstall/install. 8.95 will also be ND (Network Deployment) aware so you can deploy to all nodes as part of the install process.

To unistall a JAS instance do the following:

1. Stop the JAS Instance.
2. In the Admin Console remove the Enterprise Application Server (EA_JDEdwards_1)
3. In the Admin Console remove the Application Server
(AS_JDEdwards_1)
4. In the Admin Console remove the Virtual Host associated with the application (VH_JDEdwards_1)

Make sure you do it in the above order. Youy should also export the WAS configuration prior to monkeying with it. I just copy the entire file structure as opposed to doing a XML export.

Colin

As someone who's caught in the web (no pun intended) of upgrading JAS from 8.94 to 8.95...I suggest that anyone planning to upgrade look at solution id 200982550 before doing so..good luck.

Back