E9.2 How can I enable this "jdeDebugInit -- output disabled in INI file." for looking at errors in jdedebug file?

ritu dhanju

How can I enable this "jdeDebugInit -- output disabled in INI file." for looking at errors in jdedebug file?
Thank you,
RD

Hi Ritu,

I'm retired now and the below is from memory.

There are settings in the JDE.INI file to enable the debug log. It is generally disbaled, especially on the production enterprise and/or application server(s) as it is an "all or nothing" setting (if I remember correctly, there are a number of settings involved) - all applications and UBE's that are run will produce a debug log. Debug logs tend to be large and thus consume large amounts of space on the server. The server will crash if it runs out of disk space.

That being said there are options in server manager for creating debug logs for spefic users. I can't remember the details now, but I did use this functionality before I retired.

JDE.INI

[DEBUG]
TAMMultiUserOn=0
Output=FILE
ServerLog=0
LEVEL=BSFN,EVENTS,SF_CONTROL,SF_GRID,SF_PARENT_CHILD,SF_GENERAL,SF_MESSAGING,SF_WORKFLOW,SF_WORKFLOW_ADMIN,SF_MEDIA_OBJ
DebugFile=c:\jdedebug.log
JobFile=c:\jde.log
Frequency=10000
OWDEVELOPER=TRUE
TransactionLog=FILE

Switch these on if needed (not needed locally as you use your jdedebug.log)
[UBE]
UBEDebugLevel=0
UBESaveLogFile=0

Keep in mind that for some things to start writing to the jdedebug file, a restart of E1 services is necessary. Whenever you launch a UBE the jde.ini file is read, so if you are looking to debug a UBE, you can make the change so that Output=FILE (from Output=NONE), and each UBE launched will have debug on. Warning: jdedebug files grow quickly and take up a lot of space, so don't keep this setting turned on in Production any longer than you need to.

If you are debugging a UBE, when launching the UBE click Advanced from the Form exit. From there, you will have the option to turn on Logging (JDE.log) and Tracing (JDEDEBUG.log) and set the UBE logging level (0 - 6). This only impacts the current launch of the UBE and does not require a restart. The logging is available from the Submitted Job Search form when the server is submitted on the server or in the print Queue directory when submitting locally. The logging only includes the UBE Kernel and not other activity by other users on the server.

1684730327274.png

How can I enable this "jdeDebugInit -- output disabled in INI file." for looking at errors in jdedebug file?
Thank you,
RD

You can use server manager to turn on debug logging for specific kernels while they are up, incase you don't want to do it globally in the JDE.INI.

Back