Flat Files on the AS400

spiderbaby

spiderbaby

Hello- I have read all of the the threads already relating to this, I have already tried all suggestions.
I am trying to upload a flat file from a UBE to the AS400. The path name is dynamic via a processing option. Now, I have done this successfully at a previous client, and it worked. My path name was /SAVE/filename.txt where SAVE was a folder created under ROOT. The ROOT part of the pathname seemed to be assumed by the AS400 so we didnt need it. This UBE is in use in PD and works.

So, now I am at another client trying to replicate, and it doesn't work. I get the error 078D, open for table failed.

I guess my main question here is how to troubleshoot this problem. I cannot set the .ini to debug during the day, may be able to do it this weekend though. I really don't know what other logs or messages to look at...we have no CNC person here, so I also have no help there. Does anyone have any ideas on logs or messages I can look at?

Does anyone have any wisdom as to what the correct pathname should be? I have tried //servername/root/folder/filename.txt, /root/folder/filename.txt, /folder/filename.txt none of which work.

The profile of the job is JDEUSER and that profile is a security officer, so I am assuming he should be able to create a file.

It does work just fine when run on the fat client though.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

assuming you are attempting to run this on the 400 itself, could it be something simple like putting ''s around the string like you have to do with parameters when entering them on the 400? So instead of /directory/file.ext it is '/directory/file.ext'...

And there's an actual shop somewhere running OW/E1 and has no CNC resource?? Oh, thank you for my laugh of the day...that is just classic.

I don't think the quotes are needed, only becuase I was able to get this to work at a previous client without them. I am running this thru OW, submitting to server, but I also tried it as a runube on the as400 command line, just so I could change my logging but the joblog says nothing of interest.

Would someone PLEASE tell my boss that a JDE team without a CNC resource is NUTS. Actually I am enjoying learning the CNC, but it's frustrating as well. I get most of my info from JDELIST, a little from Peoplesoft, and some from friends. Actually if you want a good laugh, I am the SOLE employee of the JDE team. I am the support desk, developer, CNC resouce, and AS400 sys admin. Too bad I don't get 4 paychecks!

Would you be able to recommend some logs on the 400 that I can check? I just don't know where to look?

You should be able to turn on logging via the advanced feature when submitting the job. After it runs, you can simply view the logs. There should also be a job log after it runs on the 400, but I'm assuming that you're looking at that one already. I'd certainly verify the permissions on the IFS directory, and be sure that not only the system user but the profile that is associated with the actual OW services has write access to that IFS directory. My guess is that it's this...when a TC UBE runs, the profile that is used to access IFS is the one that is running the OW services, and my guess is that you created the IFS directory with a different user, and may not have allowed access to other profiles.

WHere is the joblog after it runs on the server?? That is what I was trying to ask before...I don't know where to look. Also, if I turn on logging via the advanced functions, where do those logs reside?

Many many thanks!

Error Message you mentioned is only related to JDE files and not yours and this open close is happening at the system level. Error also mentions which file was not closed. Do you have a name.

When you submitt a job on the server and either jobs errors out or finish processing you can always, in submitted job, click on view logs and look at the job log. Have you tried that. Pardon me if you have done that already.

Also when submitting the job, regardless of DEBUG ON or OFF, you can click on Advance and then set debug log and set the logging level for that particular UBE/TC.

Also in your job log you should also see the error message where it says file at blah\blah\blah\filename.txt not found. Do you see that error.

This is the BIG question I have been trying to ask...where is the joblog on the as400? I do not know where to look for it!

ok wait, i do have the job log but it doesnt say file not found. i will attach the job log.

i do still want to know where the as400 jde/log is....

Attachments

• 100868-R5504001jdedebug.txt
    326.8 KB · Views: 236
You need to check the AS400 Profile authority may be you don't have read write permissions on the profile.

Open the user profile that you are using on AS400 go to GRTOBJAUT and allow RW permissions that should fix your issue i guess try and post the results.

Thx

It appears your location parameter is missing the initial "/", it looks like it's passing QDLS/GRETCHEN/filename instead of /QDLS/GRETCHEN/filename, does the initial / get added somewhere else?

You can find the joblog with the command WRKJOB followed by the name of the report you submitted.

I'm not sure where the JDE Logs reside - HEY CNC's Help this chap!

(db)

Stooge is right.

Any / (whack) placed in front of a file location will be interpreted as going to the ifs. you don't have a whack before you qdls...

(db)

I had tried every possible combo with the /'s...see attached.
From what I now understand, I will not get a jde.log or jdedebug.log on the as400 unless I have logging turned on. So I guess I am stuck with the job logs from the UBE run which don't really tell me WHY it won't write a line to the text file...

Attachments

• 100874-R5504001jdedebug.txt
    326.8 KB · Views: 224
When you submit your job to the iSeries - hit the Advanced button. There you will find a check-box for JDE.LOG and Debug.Log.

After your job completes - you can go into the Work Submitted Jobs (in E1) - and press the buttons to View the logs.

The logs will be specific to the UBE/Job that is running.

(db)

I believe you will need the leading / and I still think you have a permissions issue. Since /Gretchen is off of /QDLS, ensure that either the Profile that runs your services or everyone has full access to QDLS as well as GRETCHEN. You should ensure both, as even if permission is granted at /GRETCHEN, if the permission is not at /QDLS as well, it won't work.

I am facing the same exact problem.. Could you tell me the solution...How were you able to read the flat file from AS/400 IFS using "Fetch Next Line from Flat File(B76B0220)" Business Function.. Appreciate your help..

Thanks
AS/400, 8.11

Back