Extend DD size

Rayxue

Well Known Member
Hi All
I have customer DD string (55CUSTOMER) with size 15, 55CUSTOMER be used in customer table F55 and table be used in P55 and R55, question is:
Can I change 55CUSTOMER definition from 15 to 30 ? any risk ?

Please advise
Thanks in advance
Ray

Ray

There's always a risk! Any usually a DD change is considered as a risk.

I think in your case, it depends on whether the objects are currently being used, and if you have to consider data changes or not.

If it is the case that you have just created the objects and they are still in the design process, then you should be ok to make a change, but before doing so consider re-building the cross reference in DV to see if another developer has used your DD item on one of their new objects. (It's also a good way to double check you have got all of the objetcs where you have used it).

You will need to check the table, business view, application, data structures, and anywhere the data dictionary item is used in a variable. As to the UBE, if the DD item is being used as a report variable, this may now overlap into another column, so you may need to re-jig columns in the RDA.

Hope this helps
Aidy

Aidy,

Do you think data (length 15) in table F55/55CUSTOMER will be kept after DD change to 30 ?

Thanks again.
Ray

Ray,

Your can do an alter-table on the column, from 15 to 30 for each table that uses the DD.

All Associated Objects (Files, Functions, BSVWs, Appls, UBEs, TypeDefs, Data Structures and other associated objects) will need to be touched/reviewed.

For Custom DD's it can be less risk - but (BUT) - you have to do a lot of validation. If there are Functions - Do review the Type Defs and Data Structures.

Others can list their concerns / experience.

(db)

Another thing to add:

If there exists a header file for this table in the \include folder (F55xxx.h), you need to have the TBLE object checked-out, perform a 'Generate Header File' from the Design Tools tab. Upon subsequent check-in, the header file will be moved along with the object specs.

You will also need to rebuild all BSFN's that use the table AFTER you have performed the step above.

Back