ERP811SP web client

Coona

Hi forum,

we are considering to move to ERP811SP1. ERP811SP1 is only web based so here is our problem. We have multiple remote sites and web client seems to be very "chatty" and therefore produces a lot of traffic (bandwidth and latency are probably most important factors). Our remote sites are mostly 512/128KBit (for 4 - 5 users) and we are not sure if it is enough. We can publish web client through Citrix but I´m not sure if this is good idea...

We can also upgrade to ERP810 which has FAT client but why we shouldn´t use the newest version...

So can you share your experiences with web client?

Our users are not used to it as we use only FAT clients (most of them published trough Citrix). During our testing of ERP811SP1 our old FAT client was much faster then new web client... We should tune our JAS (IBM WebSpehere) to get faster response but difference between old FAT client and new web client is HUGE
smile.gif

I have red in forum some post where members talk about FAT, Java and HTML???? client. What is HTML client? Some old version of Web client which doesn´t use java?

Big thanks for your help!

Coona,

Based on your description of your wan, I would suggest using a citrix server farm to publish your web application. The jde web client is rather chatty. It would be better to keep those chats on a lan and only push the ICA client code out to your users rather than send all of that Java code back and forth over your wan lines.

Gregg Larkin
North American System Admin
JDE CNC and Security, Websphere, Tidal, Princeton Softech
Praxair, Inc.

As for the naming, "Java" was a separate type of client, running as a Java applet on the client, briefly available around XE/ERP8 times. What we have now is usually called "HTML" client, despite the JS code in the pages.

It's an interesting (albeit painful) dilemma to solve: WEB is too fat for very many (most?) sites - in terms of both network and client CPU requirements, plus XE/ERP8 will have longer support than E810 and E811 and will also have a direct upgrade path to the future releases, so there's little reason to move away, unless you are after the new modules in the latest releases.

Also, bear in mind, that upgrade to E810 can be done in about 1/2 of the time it would take to do E811/E812 upgrade. Not that there's much point going E810, if it's supported for less than XE/ERP8...

Thanks for your reply!

As we thinking about it Citrix should help us with another problem - generated PDF files. Our users produce a lot of them and I suppose that all of them need to be copied to client´s side (I guess each of them is about 20-100 KB or even more). It will probably lead to very heavy traffic between JAS (or ES?) and user´s PC. Citrix slould eliminate such data transfers to remote sites.

Do you have idea about HW requirements for 200-250 concurrent users? Both JAS and Citrix servers? We´re quite new to JAS technology so we have no idea about configuration those servers. How much RAM and CPU time per user should we reserve?

Your experiences will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for clearing it up
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
As for the naming, "Java" was a separate type of client, running as a Java applet on the client, briefly available around XE/ERP8 times. What we have now is usually called "HTML" client, despite the JS code in the pages.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I have red Oracle Upgrade Strategies I´m little bit confused...
smile.gif
XE/ERP8 will have longer support than 810/811/812 and easier or the same upgrade paths? Is that correct? Is there then some advantage of ERP810 over XE/ERP8?

I´m looking forward to your reply
smile.gif
. It is very interesting idea to move only to XE/ERP8... We have hundreds of our own objects that should probably need to be converted...

Probably not longer than E812, but longer than E810 & E811 - what was it? until 2012?

It also appears that the custom code may be jeopardised by the future releases of JDE. Almost certainly, you will not be able to bring any of it up to Fusion, because it's going to be a totally different platform.

At any rate, going to ERP8 (which was by far the most stable release ever) will be _much_ easier and the custom code should come across without any issues.

In your other post you stated

"JDE/PSFT/Oracle" supplier promised us to bring better response - now we´re stuck at very low response on 10/100MBit LAN!!!"

Fact is with that kind of a LAN infrastructure you're going to have performance problems anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
It also appears that the custom code may be jeopardised by the future releases of JDE. Almost certainly, you will not be able to bring any of it up to Fusion, because it's going to be a totally different platform.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy - talk about an understatement. Migrating to conFusion will be a total "redo". My assesment is that conFusion is Oracle E-Apps with the Peoplesoft web frontend. The JDE piece will be conversion wizards to port your data over. Your AS400s will be retired, likely anything that not "red stack" will be retired. Forget about customization, if Larry's boys didn't think of it, you don't need it. Hmm, I guess I won't be getting any love letters from Oracle after they read this post......

Hi Coona,

You should contact your hardware provider (IBM, HP, Sun,
etc.) and ask them a sizing.

It was exactly the "love letters issue" that made me to "understate" it.

That is: I still want to get some ;-)

I just want to be on the safe side - ERP8 means ERP8.0 or ERP8.9? What version of DB can we use with ERP8.0 or ERP8.9 - with 7331 (pre XE
smile.gif
) we´re stuck at 8.0.5 (8i and above generate some errors on ES).

Project "XE/ERP8" becomes more more popular in our management
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I just want to be on the safe side - ERP8 means ERP8.0 or ERP8.9? What version of DB can we use with ERP8.0 or ERP8.9 - with 7331 (pre XE
smile.gif
) we´re stuck at 8.0.5 (8i and above generate some errors on ES).

Project "XE/ERP8" becomes more more popular in our management
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ERP8 is ERP 8.0 which was a marketing gimick. It is really XE Update 6.

Back