E1 8.11 Upgrade to Tools 8.98.2 IE8 introduces the Flashing Screen

Re: RE: E1 8.11 Upgrade to Tools 8.98.2 IE8 introduces the Flashing Screen

Actually Andy....Help Desk Work Orders and ESU Patches and Fixes are two different worlds; or at least, two different departments at Oracle.

The good news though is Configuration Manager, when fully operational for JDE customers, will identify every patch, update, knowledge article, etc. you need on your dashboard when you login to My Oracle Support. And when you open any SR, your system configuration, applicable to the problem being experiencede, is automatically attached to your SR and your SR given priority over submitted SR's without configurations attached.

And here is a peek at the future...we were told that eventually users will be able to open SR directly from the problem they experience, real time in E1, in tandem with their installed Configuiration Manager. More to come on that one.

Now if we can get the world out to anyone experiencing similar problems with screens in E1, on TR 8.98.2 and IE8 to mention SAR 8955985 in their SR as well, we are going to see the problem resolved with an ESU quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
Terry, that's a ridiculous answer from Oracle. I feel sorry for the support<br>technician who has to repeat this message to clients.<br><br> <br><br>Perhaps you should gently suggest to Oracle that they consider using JD<br>Edwards software for their support application. I'm not a developer, but it<br>seems to me that when a fix (workorder) is ready for an ESU release, the<br>status changes and JDE workflow could be initiated, generating emails to all<br>clients who have registered an interest in that SAR. I'm sure my company<br>and many others have qualified developers who would be glad to help Oracle<br>program this functionality. <br><br> <br><br>Andy <br><br> <br><br> <br><br>From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On<br>Behalf Of Terry DeMoure<br>Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:59 AM<br>To: [email protected]<br>Subject: Re: E1 8.11 Upgrade to Tools 8.98.2 IE8 introduces the Flashing<br>Screen<br><br> <br><br>Oracle Support left me a message last night that SAR 8955985 would not be<br>searchable on My Oracle Support Patches and Updates until the ESU was<br>completed and released. I am sorry for the misinformation. <br><br>I responded that I felt that I being required to login into My Oracle<br>Support to search every few days to status this fix was unacceptable. If the<br>search came up empty, I would know the fix was not completed. If the search<br>brought up an ESU, I would know it was completed. This method of statusing<br>would not suffice our user community, whom have patiently been waiting for<br>this problem to be resolved. <br><br>The support technician replied that these are the normal procedures for DMC<br>and all of their clients. The process of releasing an ESU is not an easy one<br>and is time consuming. I would have to understand that when an ESU is<br>released, it has several fix or objects within it. Each one has to be tested<br>and proven to be a successful fix. Then the ESU install has to be tested.<br>The technician went on to say that we in support have no control of ESUS,<br>ASUS, SP or TRS, testing or ETAS. I was encouraged to contact our account<br>manager to engage them in helping us track the SAR until completion. <br><br>I did contact our Account Manager this morning and he is now looking into<br>the matter. I suggest that any of you that have deluged me with emails about<br>your similar experiences with flashing screens, TR 8.98.2 and newer, and IE8<br>do the same and have your respective account manager monitor progress on<br>this SAR 8955985. The Oracle Developers were able to recreate this problem<br>in the lab and acknowledged their urgent need to resolve the problem. We<br>just need to continue our pressure for expedient resolution.<br><br>Terry H. DeMoure Business Systems Analyst DMC Designed Metal Connections<br>14800 South Figueroa Street Gardena, CA 90247 Vice President, S.C.U.G.<br>Southern California RUG - Oracle JDE E1/World<br><br> _____ <br><br><br>The entire<br>JDELIST thread is available for viewing.<br><br><br>Looking for a job? Check out the Job<br>forum<br><br><br>This is the JDELIST EnterpriseOne Mailing List.<br>JDELIST is not affiliated with JDEdwardsR. <br><br>To unsubscribe from this list via email, Click<br><mailto: [email protected]?Subject=Unsubscribe&Body=Sirs,<br><br>Pl<br>ease remove this address from the JDELIST EnterpriseOne M<br><br> <br><br><br>

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed

[ QUOTE ]
A cautionary tale on using metrics for customer support to measure the wrong thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

On another list I'm on (non-JDE) one person has this as his tag line: "Once you have them asking the wrong questions, the answers don't matter"

I think it is appropriate here

FYI, I am able to see the status of SAR 8955985. It mentions a target date of 3/31/10, and is at status 21.

We are curious KLW...where exactly do you see this status if we can not find that information in My Oracle Support?
[ QUOTE ]
FYI, I am able to see the status of SAR 8955985. It mentions a target date of 3/31/10, and is at status 21.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terry,

Just search for the SAR on oracle support /metalink /KG

I have attached a screen print

Thank you so much IceCube.

The reason we were never finding it was because the Support Tech (you remember him...he was the one that closed our SR as Problem Resolved. lol) instructed us to search daily for the SAR under Patches and Fixes. This brought up nada. But if you search under Knowledge Base, like you did, and type in only the SAR number, you do get a wealth of information.

This is exactly what makes our JDEList community so AWESOME!

Here's the link (SAR 8955985).

I actually found it by accident. I was looking up general IE8 issues for a "how to" that I'm writing up, and it came up in my search.

Thanks Ken

If it wasn't for all of us here in JDEList, we would have to rely on accidents for just about everything.

[ QUOTE ]
I actually found it by accident.

[/ QUOTE ]

We had the flashing screen issue E811sp1/TR8.97 & IE8(not supported by JDE) and the workaround mentioned in this article from metalink fixed it.

E1: JAS: Keystrokes Or Data Entered Lost During Rapid Data Entry in Web Client [ID 960615.1]

OJDE,

I just tried the workaround listed in the document # you mentioned, and it solved one of our more annoying problems -- WO Issues would continually flash. As the workaround states, this should only be used until you can go to TR 8.98.3.0 (when it's fixed), and you'll take a bit of a performance hit -- in my testing, I didn't notice any slowdown at all. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Are you referring to the workaround of downgrading everyone to IE.7? We decided not to go that route.

We are going ahead and testing the POC. Oracle informed us that the ESU will now not be released until the next Tools Release.
frown.gif

The workaround that i mentioned was
Workaround Steps
1. Add the following section in JAS.INI for the JAS server.
[VIRTUALIZATION]
editGrid=OFF
2. Restart the JAS server after adding the above statements.

We used this fix for missing key stroke issue in IE7/TR8.97 and then decided to test IE8(even though it is not supported for our tools release) and that is when we discovered that the flashing went away in IE8.

We've encountered both the screen jumping as well as keystrokes or data entry lost within the timecard data entry application. We applied the workaround to one of our JAS servers, but couldn't really verify if it fixed anything or not. The reason is now when using the Tab key to move to the next line in the grid (this is how it worked prior to applying the workaround) hitting the Tab key at the end of a grid row now jumps to the header or other fields on the application (the Import, Export, other icons or links). While hitting the Tab key to move from the header to the grid (and unacceptably it first goes into the QBE Line, if there is one) would be beneficial, hitting the Tab key in the grid and going to the header (or elsewhere) is unacceptable. Hitting the Tab key in the grid needs to take the user to the next blank grid row.

Dave Schleicher
LOGIS
8.12, 8.98.2.3, Windows 2003, SQL 2005, OAS 10.1.3.1

BEWARE of the workaround called out in Document # 960615.1. While it did fix our flashing screen problem, we started encountering problems with the Supply and Demand screen, in which the first row did not always display. We had to take a row exit to another application, return back, and then the first row showed.

For now, we're backing out this workaround (which involved a [VIRTUALIZATION] section in the jas.ini).

I have forwarded to my CNC the last couple posts referring to warnings against workarounds to have those compared to the POC Oracle provided us with to see if there are any similarities. I will keep this group updated of findings.

I received this response from my CNC.

Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:36 AM
To: Terry DeMoure
Subject: RE: Workarounds Comparison to Oracle POC on Flashing Screen Syndrome

Hi Terry –

I have included the workaround from DOC ID 960615.1 below so you can see what is required. Our POC, quite different from this workaround, replaced a java file on the JAS server. It did not make any modifications to the JAS.INI file.

So far, the POC seems to be working, without causing other issues.

Workaround Steps

1. Add the following section in JAS.INI for the JAS server.

[VIRTUALIZATION]
editGrid=OFF

2. Restart the JAS server after adding the above statements.

Details:
The grid has a feature called 'Virtualization' which is meant to boost the performance of grids having large amounts of data. This is not a documented configuration setting because typically one never has to turn it off. Since it has been identified that this issue is caused due to this feature, customers who are using IE7 or IE8 and are not able to upgrade to Tools Release 8.98.3.0 yet to get the fix for this issue, may use the above temporary workaround. Once customers have upgraded to Tools Release 8.98.3.0 or higher, the above setting needs to be removed.
Impact on the system using this Workaround:
Performance will be slightly affected for Edit Grids containing large amounts of data.

GREAT NEWS!

The ESU to resolve this scripting error associated with IE8 interoperability issues resulting in flashing sales order screens is scheduled to be incorporated into Tools Release 8.98.3 due for release very soon.
grin.gif

Our persistence and diligence paid off. I really appreciate everyone that contributed to this effort.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back