Designing UDC

Rauf

Rauf

VIP Member
In HR module, we are using a custom data dictionary item Y59HR022 Visa Type. It will not allow blank

fields(as Allow Blank Entry is unchecked) and it is bound to a UDC(59/VT) which has no blank values.
This field is widely used in HR module.
Now, I want to include the Visa Type in my custom Applicant Entry program, need to allow the user to enter

blank values. Because while entering applicant info, we do not know what kind of visa he/she may get. Only

at the time of hiring, the visa type will be known.

So what is the best way to handle this,

1. Create another data dictionary Y59HR022A and another UDC (59/AT)
2. Only create UDC (59/AT), copy the previous UDC values and add a blank entry. In the application, use

'Data Dictionary Overrides' to read values from the new UDC.

Hi Rauf,

As this is a custom application, I would do this as follows -

1. Use the same existing data item.
2. Disable Editing in Data Dictionary Overrides for the data item on the new form.
3. Then check in event rules, if the user has entered non-blank value, validate against UDC. If the field is left blank, don't validate against UDC.

Based on your requirement, I'd say asking for the "best" way will probably get you differing opinions. This comes down to more of a philosophical approach in my opinion.

Personally, I'd stay away from your #1 option. #2 is fine (but I don't particularly like dual UDC maintenance). You could also just keep the 1 DD item and 1 UDC table (with a blank entry) and code the edit for the scenario(s) where a blank is not valid.

Whatever you're more comfortable with.

Is there any functions to 'Validate UDC' exist? Or should I write a custom one ?

I agree with Jeremy (Stay away from option #1; Option #2 is fine).

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any functions to 'Validate UDC' exist? Or should I write a custom one ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there is. Type that string ("Validate UDC") in the Bus Function Description column in Bus Function Search, and u'll find it :)

Back