Confusion on Windows 7

JMast

Reputable Poster
All,

I keep seeing posts on the List saying that Windows 7 is not certified by Oracle for running 8.0 client. Yet, in Doc 705350.1 "JDE XE ERP8 MTR WINDOWS" the following text appears:

------------
NOTE: Support is for Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise Editions.

NOTE: Beginning with 24.1.0;

A Windows 7 Administrative account using ‘run as administrator’ is necessary for installing Xe/ERP8 workstation or development client.

A Windows 7 Standard user account can be used for running Business activities (running Interactive Applications, UBE’s …etc).

A Windows 7 Administrative account using ‘run as administrator’ is necessary for running Development Activities (Form Design Aid, Report Design Aid …etc).
-------

If this text is not certifying Windows 7, can someone please help me understand what text I need to see from Oracle and where I will find it to be sure that we are supported on Windows 7 when we move to 24.1.2?

Thanks for the assist,

Jer

Windows 7 is certified for running Xe/8.0 with SP 24.1.0

I believe that the posts on here were likely made before doc 705350.1 was updated, or the authors of those posts were unaware of the changes to the MTR.

However, it IS imperative that the MTR is followed, and that the "run as administrator" account is set up for the user running Oneworld.

The last MTR updates that I am aware of are March 10 for 8.9x Tools Releases, and April for Xe and ERP 8.

The one for Xe and ERP 8 do state that Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit are supported client environments from SP24.1 onwards.

The one for 8.9x does one lists Windows 7 supported for the HTML client. Not development.

Jon and Ken,

Thank you both for your quick replies.

Jon, I am curious about your response that administrator is required when the MTR states a standard user can run the business processes. Are there processes like package installs that require administrator even though running the JDE business processes don't? We do package installs by setting a mandatory deployment and having the user log in and accept the package. We do not use the listener/push process, so I am hoping we will be ok. We would really like to lock the workstations down to limit some of the goofy stuff that gets installed.

I suppose we will find out when we get the Service Pack on. I just really appreciate all of you veterans' insights. You really help some of us small guys who wear many hats in our companies and have very little demand for and time to spend on CNC experimentation. I don't take your insights for granted.

Thanks again,

Jer

Let me give you an example from Windows 2008. This is a server OS, but follows most of the same UI behavior as Windows 7.

I open NOTEPAD to edit the JDE.INI file on the Enterprise Server (I know, use Server Manager ... but this is just an example, I'm old, and set in my ways). When I try to save the file, it will not allow me to save over the existing JDE.INI file. I hit File-Save, but it's active like File-Save As, and absolutely refuses to overwrite the original file.

2nd attempt, I open NOTEPAD with the "Run As Administrator" option. I edit the file again, but now I am allowed to save my changes like normal (meaning like Windows XP or Windows 2003).

Same simple, little program, but it behaves differently without the "Run As Administrator" option. Note that this is different from being an Administrator on the machine. I am in the Administrators group, and should have full rights to do anything, but I still need to do the "Run As Administrator" to make this simple edit.

Ken,

Ok, good example. I see what you are saying. The "run as administrator" is implied by Oracle in the second line discussing a standard user running business processes. That still works for us since we do not need to have the users set up as administrators on the workstation.

Thanks again for the help,

Jer

[ QUOTE ]
Jon and Ken,

Thank you both for your quick replies.

Jon, I am curious about your response that administrator is required when the MTR states a standard user can run the business processes. Are there processes like package installs that require administrator even though running the JDE business processes don't? We do package installs by setting a mandatory deployment and having the user log in and accept the package. We do not use the listener/push process, so I am hoping we will be ok. We would really like to lock the workstations down to limit some of the goofy stuff that gets installed.

I suppose we will find out when we get the Service Pack on. I just really appreciate all of you veterans' insights. You really help some of us small guys who wear many hats in our companies and have very little demand for and time to spend on CNC experimentation. I don't take your insights for granted.

Thanks again,

Jer

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a look at my earlier post on this subject:

http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=158596&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

There are ways to disable the User Account Control (UAC) functionality that forces the "Run as Administrator" dance. There are ways to disable UAC for certain apps if disabling UAC altogether is not palatable. You can use the Application Compatibility Toolkit to test issues related to UAC.

Hi All

I have a similar confusion with installing XE ERP 8.0 SP23 fat client on a windows 7 machine. Does anyone have any idea about Oracle supporting SP24.1.0..Does this mean SP23 won't work on windows 7 machines..?? If yes, the "run as administrator" restriction applies on SP23 installation as well..??

I would really appreciate all the response from you CNC veterans.

Regards,

Saurabh
CNC Admin XE ERP 8.0 SP23_V1.

The "officially supported" designation that comes from being listed on the Minimum Technical Requirements usually means:

1) Oracle has tested it.
2) If you're running on it, then we can continue with the support call (as opposed to: you are running on something that isn't on the list, so we'll stop the support call right there).
3) The original vendor still supports the product.

In the case of SP23 on Windows 7, it probably means that they haven't bothered to test that combination. I know that the differences at the fat client level are not so pronounced between SP23 and 24.1, so it probably will work.

The thing about "Run as Administrator" is an OS thing, not an Oracle thing. As mentioned above, there are ways to tweak Windows to get around this.

Hi Ken

Thanks for your reply. I think I will give a try and install a fat client and will see if I encounter any issue.

Regards,

Saurabh

Back