COEXISTENT WITH WORLD SOFTWARE ??

Joel

Well Known Member
Hi List,
Does anyone know the meaning of "COEXISTENT WITH WORLD SOFTWARE". We have a V5R3 box that has Live WorldSoftware running and we are soon going to setup Xe on it.
During the installation plan, there is a Check box for Coexistent in the Custom plan that needs to be checked or unchecked. I would like to know the implications of this.
Thanks in advance.

Joel -

XE and World have the ability to co-exist, meaning, in layman's terms, that they can share the same files on the same box. Some users can be on World with the remainder on XE and be able to update the same tables at the same time in the same environment. Security and profiles are shared across both World and XE.

I'm sure that there are more technical ways to explain this but due to the context of your question, I thought this might be a good way to start.

Thanks,
Carrie Ricotta

Yes, you have to check it. What it means that any upgrade/ESU process will not do anything to your database for the existing World (DDS format files) that will be shared with Xe. You need to look after this yourself. I am not sure if an install would do anything with the existing files but if it did convert the files from DDS to SQL, all of your World RPG would stop working. You would also lose all of your World logicals.

If you are installing Xe on top of World you will need a X3 ptf for World first.

And speaking from experience - once you go down the coexistent path, it is VERY hard to to get off. We have been 'migrating' from World to Xe since 1998. And are nowhere near done. We have most of the users moved but a vast majority of our batch processing is still in World. And the users do love those FASTRs. You cannot upgrade if you are coexistent as the first step is to end coexistence. The upgrade tools deal only with non coexistent SQL format files.

There are few coexistent customers left now and support for both it and Xe is definitely waning. I would recommend that you look at a direct World migration to EO8.11 or 8.12.

Good luck.

Sue Shaw
Xe SP23i1 iSeries V5R3 coexistent forever

If you don't get a good response here on the JDE List - go fetch on the 'Ask the Experts' form at the http://www.theiconsortium.com site.

I know that Shawn and a few of the other CNCs in the iCon membership have several Co-Existant clients. They'd be more willing to share their experiences and such within the more-private confounds of the ATE, than the World-Wide profounds of the JDE List (basically they answer your questions directly to you, sharing the experience with the membership - and usually without much of the OT-spread that occasionally happens here).

For the record - there are a lot of Co-Existant clients out there. Many of them remain on World for the reporting capabilities (Org Structure and others)...

(db)

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies. Our set up does not involve migrating or upgrading from World to Xe. I just need to set up Xe in its native state. Thus the only concern for me is not to affect the existing Worldsoft setup in anyway.

While making the Installation Plan, i had checked the COExistent check box, however in the last step of the plan where i have to set up data sources i de selected Coexistent and the Merge option.
In short, if i do not want any changes to my Worldsoftware i have to de select the check box ? right ?
Please let the replies coming in as i have to Run workbench :)

If you deselect the coexistent check box this gives Xe the go ahead to do anything it needs to your database.
If you are setting up Xe, then you are sharing the database with World unless you put it somewhere else. This means that anything to do with DATA is affected - contents, indexes, file formats. Again, unless you are doing a new install, you will need the X3 ptf for Xe to work on your World database.

And for DBohner - I had no idea that there were a lot of coexistent customers. They are very quiet.

Sue

The primary reason for Coexistence in the first place is the ability to share the data with World software. Because World Software does not support primary keys, the coexistence option basically stops XE from applying primary keys to any of the "shared" World tables. If you are simply setting up XE standalone, I would not choose coexistence.

The next question is why are you installing XE in its native state?

Hi List,
Thanks for all the replies. I understood what COExistent is i.e. the ability of both World and JD to use some common files and co exist.
However i have got contradictory replies with respect to the Checking of the check box during Installation Plan. My requirement is, doing a Xe setup on a box Unfortunately having WorldSoftware.
1) Does Checking COEXISTENT affect the objects common to JD and World ?
2) Does Un Checking COEXISTENT give Xe the authority to do what ever it wants to the common objects.?

If you are not planning to use any of the World tables in XE and just want XE to be blank, then you do not need to check the box. Checking the box will just inhibit XE from creating primary keys.

Back