Changing the Port Number for SMTP mail

knandan

We are in the process of setting up external mail with JDE using SMTP. We have done necessary changes on client JDE.INI file. The problem is that our mail server is configured on the port 625 and not on default port 25. so it is leading to JDE failing to communicate with mail server and generating the error message “Response from the SMTP server is <550 Relaying denied to EmailID@mail_server

Peoplesoft helpdesk simply replied that OneWorld uses only port no.25 and there is no way to change it.

Please let me know if any OneWorld customer configured OW with Mail Server using SMTP and mail server is on different port than standard 25.

Thanks in advance

Nandan

Ok-I do a lot of internet developement, and don't do a lot of configuration of SMTP services - but I have to ask the question... If you change the port - what does that really give you? It may help protect you from the spammers using your smtp - but, that's way relay filtering is for.

Why are you guy changing the default port number???

Daniel

Nandan,
have you tried to change this line
"smtp 25/tcp mail # Simple Mail Transfer Protocol"
in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\services
to your port number?
If the JDE code was properly written it should read this file .
In case it works on a WS you would have to make the same changes on your ES as well.
Just a shot in the dark, Gerd

We have been trying to set up the system to e-mail service orders to the primary service provider (a JDE option in the processing options of P17714)

We do not seem to be able to get it to work. In. JDE have said they can get it working on their version, but I have discovered that in the Work Center there is an e-mail error stating that I should check my JDE.log (under Queues/Submitted Jobs ). I do not know if it is related

The JDE.log states the following

1680/1152 Thu May 20 08:15:45 2004 jdemail.c61
The JDEMAIL library is disabled, function <JDE_ReadAll> is not available. Please see SAR 6546021 for details, and contact support.

1680/1152 Thu May 20 08:15:45 2004 B0200901.c145
eNullHandle: The mail handle is NULL - ReadMail

The SAR states “Using MAPI to read Outlook email from within the Work
Center is no longer stable. No customers have been found who use this functionality. Please remove the functionality”

Does any one have this working? In October 2002 we did have had it working as part of the development, but did not use it. The SAR here was done March 2003.

Cool ! Theres something there that works well !!!!

Nice little tips and tricks (although I'm sure not many people will change their SMTP port !)

I´m glad it worked. Don´t forget to update your /etc/services file on your Unix server as well. That would be necessary for jobs that run on the server and want to send smtp messages.

Gerd

Back