Changing the ODBC driver used by EnterpriseOne

apurmal

I've searched google and this forum with several sets of keywords to find this information. I am not an EnterpriseOne customer, so I do not have the documentation available.

We have a customer who uses EnterpriseOne and they want to use our ODBC driver to connect to an AS/400 system rather than the one that comes with EnterpriseOne. I'm trying to find out how one can choose to use a different ODBC driver.

It's been suggested that one changes the setup.inf and odbcdatasource.inf files. I searched on those (setup.inf returned nothing, odbcdatasource.inf returnd four posts that weren't related to my issue) but wasn't able to learn anything else about doing what our customer wants to do.

If anyone can answer my question or suggest where I might be able to find the answer to my question, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,

Tony Purmal

Okay, this is a little involved for someone not at all familiar with Enterprise One. This is what I believe is the correct approach. Others may disagree. Just giving my input:

You would need to add the new data source to the odbcdatasource.inf file on the deployment server. Then you would have to add a new "Database Datasource" entry through Enterprise One. Then it is accessible through the Object Configuration Manager just like any other data source. Then you will have to assign it to object/user combinations for whatever purpose you would need to use it for. You may also have to add the AS400 tables as One World tables and assign them to the new data source in the OCM.

Tony,

There are no supported ways to utilise ODBC drivers other than those that are approved by JDE.

I am familiar with your HIT/400 driver and think it is a great replacement for Client Access ODBC. I have used it in the past for PC-based reporting against the AS/400.

Since your driver is a standard ODBC driver you could try to create an ODBC connection and then create an associate datasource in E1. You would need to tell E1 that it is a Client Access datasource. I have never tried this myself and it would definitely NOT be supported by Oracle. Note, you should not need to edit odbcdatasource.inf directly. The E1 datasource application will edit this file for you.

The "somewhat" supported way to do this would be to create a linked server from the Microsoft Database Engine against your driver. You could then create a connection in E1 to the MSDE. I don't know how this would affect performance but various listers have used the linked server approach to pull non-supported databases into E1. I have used it myself to link to Sybase.

The bottom line is that your customer should not try to replace the only JDE supported AS/400 data access method with your driver. I would say this is an absolute for transaction processing. If you want to have a play with trying to get it to work for reporting then you can try my hacks above. But ultimately none of this would be supported by Oracle.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Back