Changing JAS URL

While you cannot specify AS, VH names, you can still make them meaningful names.

It appears that one *can* specify something other than a number during the
JAS install for WAS 5.0.2 and have that appear in the name of the
Application Server and Enterprise Application.

For example I entered PY in the port number field during the install. It
created AS_JS_PY, EA_JS_PY and VH_JS_PY. I simply then went in and deleted
the host alias that was created (*:py) and created a name-based host alias
(erppy.millscorp.com) In this was I was able to create installs with
meaningful AS, EA, and VH names in WAS 5.

[ QUOTE ]
On the JAS installs for WAS 5.X you don't have the opportunity to specify the Virtual Hosts, Application Server names, etc. The installer also doesn't let you install on port 80. What's the easiest way to do the config for WAS 5.0? Obtain the WAR file? Modify the configs after the fact? Manual add the AS, EA and VH?

Thanks,

Colin

[/ QUOTE ]

Colin,

In my experience -- the easiest is: install first (example on 81, 82, 83...) with the standard installer the number of JAS instances you want on the box.

Then, modify the vh (update the plugin config), the apache config and your DNS to use name based virtual hosting and to do what you need to do with the real URLs...

We have never to this day let our users use or see port numbers other than 80 and 443 (with SSL).

I am even running 3 different JAS instances over the same 80 and 443 ports on the same box and Ethernet interface and letting the plugin also do named based mapping (instead of *:80) with the right VHs to map to the right instance by name.
IBM documentation on the order of name-based VH mapping with the plugin

It is a little trickier with SSL, as the HTTP request host name is not processed until SSL credentials are negotiated, so the first name VH takes precedence for negotating SSL (i.e. you need a * wildcard certificate to avoid user warnings) but it can easily be done.

81, 82, 83 remain simple identification references for me (and I keep the VHs so that I can connect to SAW directly foreach instance or give things to the support folks...)

But our users don't know about them.

For your war file option - in 8.95 you can generate your own war file with the generator (using the documents on WAS Portal Provider for Oracle Portal, which is a standalone JAS server) and package your own jas.ini, jdbc drivers, etc. Then you can deploy and map the war file anyway you like but that's a lot more work.

What do other people think?

Back