Cardex Purge

culater

culater

I'm looking for information on best practices for purging the cardex in OW. The knowledge garden states that there is no specific purge for the cardex, be sure to backup and test, make sure to run the AS Of build, etc. etc.
I'm looking for info from anyone who has purged the cardex before (or thought through the process) as far as any gotchas that you might encounter. I've searched this forum but haven't found anything related.
A question that comes to mind is: Would you create a 'beginning balance' record that would be the sum of the deleted transactions? The integrity report might have to 'know' to ignore the beginning balance records and the As Of net change would need to also be aware of those records. The thought is to leave a few years of cardex info on the system for research purposes. The company has been on JDE for almost six years now and the cardex is continuing to grow.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

In essence, the AS OF record will create a "beginning balance" .... have you looked into it?

Yes, thanks. I'm aware of the As Of processing. I was just wondering if anyone has a purge in place and discovered any gotchas that they could share. I asked PSFT if they had any white papers or best practices and they referred me to the 'As Of processing document'. I was just looking for a real world solution.

I noticed this same topic came up on another forum recently.

Someone was recommending ArcTools/ReorgWizard, after they "tried the canned purges and it created a train wreck of integrity issues".

I don't have experience with the standard purges, ArcTools or other purging methods/products either, but thought this tid-bit might add to the discussion.

We evaluated the Third party purge tools and other standard purge jobs and we decided to write our own custom purge to meet our business requirements. Some conditions for the purge are:

Purge over 2 years of data (transaction date - TQRT) and only if the Qty On Hand for the lots in F41021 is a zero ie, no longer in inventory.

Srini Dadi
Xe, AS400

ARCTools is a good product if you have an AS/400.

Overall the As Of process is very useful as it keeps a running balance and monthly totals for $ and quantity and is very good unless you ruin this by not maintaining the integrity with custom coded transactions.

You need to learn the status codes that allow you to purge records, verfiy it is working as designed on your system and then when a record is marked as being in the As Of file (F41112) and no longer needed you can purge it to a history file. This improves performance as the Item ledger (F4111 Cardex) can get big. The Item Ledger relates back to the GL as well and if you want to maintain this integrity before purge for audit reasons you may use the history or include this check.

There is way to much to cover quickly but you can do this purge very effectively without tons of issues if your shop is not out of control with customization that is not integrated or well thought out.

There are issues with programs writing qty to the F41021 and you need to scour the JDE site to be sure you get all the information you can. Transactions in JDE not completing may be found in the work file for the F41021 and this information is on JDE or you can ask them for it.

One other gotcha you wil lnot find anywhere is that if you are menaully creating a process outside of JDE to compare the Ledger to the Location Quantities keep the fact that the JDE UBEs and functions are always doing things for you like UOM conversion and your custom programs if not able to use the functions to get the values will have to do the same. otherwsie you could create your own unintended integrity issues;-)

Best of luck!

Back