Business Analyst on AS/400 JDE does what?

RobJDE

What if any special characteristics are there for a Business Analyst
on the AS/400 using say J.D. Edwards software. Does the BA need to be very strong in RPG ILE for example, or any of the traditionals like DDS. If anyone can shed any light on this subject please do so, off line is fine if you are more comf.
THANKS!
Rob

Rob,

My two cents worth!

A business analyst first and foremost should a good grasp of business
principles and processes preferably in both the financial and the "front
office" arenas (i.e. distribution, manufacturing, construction/jobbing).
The person should have a strong ability to learn quickly. Given that the
main application software is JDE then it would help greatly if they
already had some good exposure to MRP/ERP (i.e.Integrated) type systems.

On the technical side - experience with Query/400, SQL/400, OBDC
drivers, and some basic CL commands (CPYF, WRKUSRJOB etc) would be an
enormous benefit. The various tools and hidden selections in JDE plus
the AS/400 'functions' should overcome the need for detailed technical
knowledge of DDS. I wouldn't expect a business analyst to have any real
depth of knowledge of RPG or ILE or CL. An understanding of DB/400
relational data base concepts (Physical files, Logicals and Join
Logicals together with the SELECT/OMIT functions) would be a great help.

Regards

Colin Hugill

Colin Hugill
Consultant
(World A7.3 cum12)

Jim Rubino
Senior Programmer Analyst
FIKE CORPORATION (r)
704 South 10th Street
Blue Springs, Mo. 64015
(816) 229-6216 Ext. 213
WorldSoftware Technical Editor for JDEtips

I think any BA need not know any programming, if they do then that is a
plus. They need to know the software and setups more than anything. That
is what our BA is and does. He does not know programming at all but knows
JDE fairly well. Another added bonus for a BA would be if they know some
AS/400 System stuff, like how writers work, jobqs work, etc. (this would
make your programmers and system operators life easier).

Jim Rubino
FIKE CORPORATION (r)
704 South 10th Street
Blue Springs, Mo. 64015
(816) 229-6216 Ext. 213

Thank you Guys. Would you say that an important consideration my be working with financial people, as typically the demands are placed by various accounting and tax/corp changes that the people at the top are concerned with? In JDE terms, I am trying to define what this would encompass, what specific issues might arrise commonly.

Thanks for your help,

Re: Business Analyst on AS/400 JDE does what? *DELETED*

Post deleted by ekempter

This is precisely what is important to many people. The knowledge level is very unlevel out here. The knowledge that I and I am sure many others seek is precisely the work real world examples, that although as you astutely teach us, no 2 companies are alike, still there is much to glean from anyones personal account or report, on how the he/she sees the question as it directly relates to his/her experience. This then posted for me and others to read, provides a small but powerful glimpse into the business world, the multi-facted business world.

As I am new here and you may be some sort of enforcer/moderator/elder/bully boy, I will refrain from responding to your vitriolic use of the world idiotic. Please keep in mind that these boards are meant to stimulate fraternal problem/solution solving/sharing in a positive manner.

Rob you have to realize that GLOBAL and nebulous BROAD questions regarding a huge software product like Edwards will not invite anyone to answer because it is hard to take 25+ years of experience and translate it into an abbreviated "crib" sheet for junior experienced people. There is plenty of hardcopy manuals in Edwards to answer most questions and baring that, plenty of educational courses from Edwards readily available. Most of us here are more than accomodating to sharing our vast knowledge with anyone who asks for it - BUT you will help your case and get more helpful responses if you will simply narrow the scope of your questions to something much more specific. The original thread at the top is such a request about the B. Analyst; it was detailed enough to deal with within the confines of this forum...the thread I answered here was so global, broad and encompassing as to turn away anyone who could help because none of us have the time to spend millions of keystrokes to answer it. Narrow the subject down to something workable my friend and you'll see you will garner more answers from those of us here who are willing to help. There is indeed an enormous wealth of talent here and over the years I've been involved, I have never refused or been refused help. Over the years I have found that junior people are prone to asking global questions because the knowledge simply isn't there at their experience level. As for your concern about the word "idiotic"...you missed the point of my response all together by acting as though it was a personal reference. Hope this clarifies my response above.

I concur with "jdepro's" reponse.

Colin Hugill
Consultant
(World A7.3 cum12)

I think any BA need not know any programming, if they do then that is a
plus. They need to know the software and setups more than anything. That
is what our BA is and does. He does not know programming at all but knows
JDE fairly well. Another added bonus for a BA would be if they know some
AS/400 System stuff, like how writers work, jobqs work, etc. (this would
make your programmers and system operators life easier).

Jim Rubino
FIKE CORPORATION (r)
704 South 10th Street
Blue Springs, Mo. 64015
(816) 229-6216 Ext. 213

As the Title says they are a Business Analyst not a programmer. They must understand the Business and find best solutions and processes. Improve efficiencies of the Business through system improvements.

Alexb,

Come on Alex, you are about 5-6 weeks behind on this thread. Have you
read all the other replies to this thread? Do you have something
significant to contribute, so many weeks after this thread was
initiated?

I apologize in advance, what a waste of space.

Colin Hugill
Consultant
(World A7.3 cum12)

Back