Building Full Global Tables

DRezanka

DRezanka

Reputable Poster
Hi all,

I hope I'm missing something here and someone has an idea.

The building of packages with full global tables (as necessary for WTS and JAS) seems rather cumbersome to me. The process, as I understand it, is to:

- Build the full package (with compression).
- Deploy the package to a WS.
- Build the full global tables on the WS.
- Copy the global tables back to the DS.
- Re-compress the package.
- Deploy at will.

Even if I already have the full global tables built, the package build has to end before compression, the tables be moved in, then re-start the build with compression only.

Commiting this process on three environments for every SP, One-Off, ESU, or general attempt to resolve piculiar issues, obviously adds a whole lotta time to our Change Management.

Does anyone have any tips and tricks to simplify this procedure? Has anyone posted a SAR with JDE to add an option to build full global tables during a package build?

Thanx much

Doug
[email protected]

Xe SP15.1, AS400 V4R5, CO-Oracle806, Co-A73c12, Citrix, NT JAS

I have always understood the process a little different. You would want to build full glbltbl specs to avoid JITI.
We just build it on an admin machine and then copy the result to the spec directory after installing a full package to a WTS or to a JAVA generator WS.

Thanks, Gerd

Em Tuesday, December 04, 2001 em 05:28:26 AM, [email protected] escreveu:

Gerd J. Renz
InfoJBS Consultores Associados
Gerente de Tecnologia
e-mail: [email protected]
fone: 011 5505-3750

--
ISM - Solucoes na Internet

http://www.ismnet.com.br/

Hi Doug,

A practice that I have used at many sites with success is as follows:

1. From a fat client (or terminal server with one user) generate the Global Tables associated with the path code for which you will be building a full package.

2. Start your full package build and wait about 5 minutes into the process or until you find the empty DDDICT, GBLTBL file sitting in your package spec directory.

3. Copy the files you generated in step 1 to your package spec directory.

These files should then be incorporated into the CAB files during the compression stage that occurs as the last piece of the client package build. I generally do not use compression so that I can avoid having to recompress the parent after update package builds. Obviously this has an impact on your network traffic during deployment but in a largely thin client environment I have not found this to be a problem at 100MBits.

Some may argue with my method. Some believe that you must build the global tables on a machine that has taken the latest full package you are working with. I disagree but I acknowledge that I might be incorrect. I believe that the Global Table spec files are generated out of Central Objects when you run R98CRTGL and a therefore the latest package is not necessary. As long as you delete the Global Tables prior to logging in and running R98CRTGL you should get the latest.

This has worked quite well for me. Your mileage may very.

Regards,

Justin Miller
[email protected]

working with B7332 and XE on AS/400, NT, Solaris and AIX

There is a SAR. Doesn't show up in the search under full global tables. The number is 4786611. I was told it was targeted for B9 but to be ESU'd back to Xe.

Doug
[email protected]

Hello Doug,

I used to do this and I did it exactly as Gerd has described. Although, Justin does have an interesting approach that I may try sometime. However, I am curious as to why you are doing this. The reason I ask is that it is my understanding that JDE suggests a separate environment for Terminal Server (much like you would have for a JAS), and that JITI is supposed to be turned off. Originally, my company followed this suggestion, but as I understand it, we did not actually realize the performance gains that we expected, and now have one environment per path code for both FAT clients and WTS. Performance is just as good now, and JITI's aren't a problem over our 100mb LAN.

Just some info...

Ryan Hunt
OneWorld XE; Update2; SP15.1
AS400; V4R5
DS: Win2k SP2, SQL 7.0 SP3
TSE's: Win2k(SP2) & NT4.0(SP6a) with Metaframe 1.8

Ryan,

You probably know that JITI on WTS has the potential for spec corruption. Also, the JAS Generator requires an installation with full global tables. Since our setup is only Citrix, JAS, and Development machines, there is no reason for us to have JITI anywhere. Since package builds are part of every JDE Update, I would like an option to build full global tables during the package build.

From the sound of it, I might get it soon (remember the old JDE jingle "There's more than one way to get what you want". I spend a lot of time on the phone with GSS. :)).

Take Care

Doug
[email protected]

Back