Associating Description

leggleston

leggleston

This may sound dumb, but it's driving me up the wall. I'm trying to associate the description of a credit reason code into a level break. Since the detail section is hidden, it won't associate correctly in the detail. I've tried to assign the description to a variable, then use that VA to my RV in the break. Didn't work.

Consultant tells me to us B4002070, but I can't get that to work either. Tried fetching from F0005, no luck. I'm in the process of hard coding all 122 reasons, but it just seems like a huge waste of time for now and the future when the descriptions change, delete, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi
i'm sitting at home without oneworld , therefor i need to ask you, the code you need is a UDC??
Is it a level break header or footer??

I have the UDC code, but I need the description associated with that particular code. It's a level break footer.

Thank you

Have you tried this:

Highlight the field on the report (in RDA), click on Edit, click on Associate, click on Description.

That'll only work in the detail, which is hidden. I have assigned the reason code in the break (RV Reason Code = PC Reason Code) to get the code, however the description cannot associate the same way.

Hi,
is your RV associated to the DD item ?
If yes, it is really strange...

Yes it is associated. Maybe I can explain better. The detail is hidden because I have several breaks and if I didn't hide it, I would have too much detail (I'm pretty much looking for totals, not detail). If the detail is NOT hidden, I can make the associated description of my reason code appear anywhere on the report. But, since I hide it, the association hides also, even though it's really still there. So to start, in the detail I assigned my associated description to a report variable. In my level break, I then created an RV and assigned it to the report variable...no luck. That's when I tried the B4002070, but to no luck. Then my Fetch to F0005. Also no luck. Gotta love OneWorld!

Since you are assigning the UDC value to a variable I don't think you can associate a description to it. However, you can do a fetch single to bring the description in. I think if you do it on the init break section, part it will work.

Rather than a fetch to F0005, you might want to try bsfn GetUDC (X0005).

Are you correctly aligning the KY w/in the fetch?
F0005 left pads character keys so a 3 pos key (udc)
would be 7 blanks and then the key.

Rather than X0005, I strongly suggest N0800031 Get UDC Description : with this one you don't have to care about the length of the field : it does this itself, and always brings back the value you want,
JW

Cool. I didn't even know that was out there.
X0005 is one that I could remember from WORLD.

Thanks.

Gene

I think you're onto the right path with that advice. I am now getting some data (although it's wrong). Do I need to lpad the variable or substring it?

Lpad w/blanks. A 3 position, alpha, UDC w/a value of "ABC"
is stored in the KY field as bbbbbbbABC (where the "b" is equal to blank).

Tho' the next time I need to GetUDC (x0005), I going to try the alternative bsfn recommended in this thread.

Gene

in your level break section, insert the same field from the data dictionary, and make it a global variable. Then associate the description with that field.

In your hidden detail DO section, add a single line of code to populate the global (level break section) field from the BC field.

Should work beautifully - I'll be interested to hear if it doesn't.

Sharon

Hi Lee,

Had your issue already solved?

If yes, then how?

If not, then:

Have you ever tried to debug your report to check the contents of the reason code in your footer section?

On the other hand, store the UDC in KY (alias) data item based variable and lpad it with blanks to length 10 before you fetch F0005.

An other question: What is your language preference settings in your user profile when running that UBE? Is it different from blank (Domestic)?

Regards,

Zoltán

Back