Arrays in One World

Dresdow

I am planning on submitting a request to JDE to include array functionality within future releases of the JDE developers toolset. I need a list of names, phone numbers, company names, and email addresses of developers that would like this functionality also.

If you would like arrays, please include the above and also tell me why you would like to use them.

" ...of names, phone numbers, company names, and email addresses of developers ..."

you wouldn't be a head hunter would you?

David emailed me privately to reassure me that he was not "harvesting" names for an employment agency.

I privately sent him the requested information with my endorsement of the enhancement request and suggest that you do so also - rather than posting your particulars in this public forum.

Wouldn't it be fantastic to have variable arrays support in ER?

Cheers,

Hi Larry and David,

I just came back from my first JDE class in about a year and it was great. It was Financial report writing and let me tell you that the functional ability to handle arrays is already available in "General Ledger" using the smart field functionality. I am just starting to experiment how to use these smart fields in distribution, etc.

The technology appears to be available. :)

Any guru(s) want to share experiences ??

Regards,
Dave

Modification by me: The current capability is is based upon using fiscal G/L dates, not internally defined arrays, but I still think the next step to internally defined is a small one.

Can you use smart fields in ERW? Or is it only for financial report writer?

Echoing Catherine's question ... Can you use "Smart Fields" in the ER of an interactive application?

Hello, guys!

Why not to use a custom table as an array holder? We can always select and insert into it..?

Arthur Zubarev

Arthur,
They want an array, OK?
Why? One wouldn't know for sure, but one can imagine that they are not happy with creating/maintaining/upgrading ... a custom table, would they? Would you?
Warm regards,
Adrian Chimirel

Hi Arthur,

Custom tables have been used in the past, but they are still nothing more than a crutch for missing functionality. Using Table-IO to retrieve an array element can be incredibly slow by comparison. Not to mention the extra time/expense involved in setting up the custom table and extra coding to use it.

Another solution is JDE cache and coding in 'C' - again an undesirable solution or crutch to replace a very basic element of most programming languages.

I appreciate how easy ER is to use ... until you try to do something that's easy in other, 3GL programming languages . . . then it becomes very frustrating!

You really miss arrays when you try to deal with multi-level parent-child relationships such as a BOM . . .

As far as I know, you can use smart field only in Tabular Sections in UBEs.

Hi Zoltan,
I believe you are correct that you may only use the smart fields in tabular sections in UBE's (and it doesn't have to be a financial report). Unfortunately, I have not had the time to examine the use of smart fields in the distribution and manufacturing modules yet.
Has no one done this ???
Regards,
Dave

The main point here is that "smart fields" are not a substitute for variable arrays except in certain situations. Even then I suspect I would prefer true array support.

Has anyone else emailed David Dresdow providing the requested information/support?

I agree with Zoltan that the smartfields themselves cannot be used somewhere
other than tabular sections of reports, but there is a business function
behind the smartfield that you might be able to use in an event rule
section.

JDE Dude
OneWorld Xe, SP20, Update 3

Well done! I've sent an endorsement to David.

I imagine I'll probably create a few dozen more custom tables before the functionality is available, but we'll pop some bubbly when it is.

Grant Harding
Analyst/Developer - Winstone Wallboards Ltd
OneWorld Xe SP 18.1 / NT4 / Oracle 8.06 / HPUX

Back
Top Bottom