8.98.3.3 Websphere 6.1 to Websphere 7.0

MagarG

MagarG

VIP Member
We are going to be upgrading our tools release to 8.98.3.3 which supports Websphere 7.0.

I'm trying to get a sense on what's the general procedure for upgrading the actual Webserver?

Do you have to do a full install of Websphere 7 then use Server Manager to create new V71 managed instances and deploy the HTML server to the new version leaving behind the V61 folders? Basically a new install.

OR

Is there some upgrade path where it upgrades version 6.1 to 7.0 keeping all the installed apps current or moving them to the new V7 folder structure and also updating the managed instances in Server Manager from 6.1 to 7.0?

[ QUOTE ]
We are going to be upgrading our tools release to 8.98.3.3 which supports Websphere 7.0.

I'm trying to get a sense on what's the general procedure for upgrading the actual Webserver?

Do you have to do a full install of Websphere 7 then use Server Manager to create new V71 managed instances and deploy the HTML server to the new version leaving behind the V61 folders? Basically a new install.

OR

Is there some upgrade path where it upgrades version 6.1 to 7.0 keeping all the installed apps current or moving them to the new V7 folder structure and also updating the managed instances in Server Manager from 6.1 to 7.0?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can upgrade if you like (Colin will probably chime in on this) but my preference is to build the whole thing again.

Since you're on an AS400 each new release of WAS goes into seperate directories so the safest way to do this is to simply do a new install of WAS 7.0.

This will keep things totally isolated and upgrading between major releases of WAS is not advised (you want to test it first right?).

Colin

MagarG,

I agree, the smoothest thing is to do a new install. My recent experience has been that I upgraded two webservers to WebSphere 7, fixpack 5 (per MTR) and had issues where I was reccommended to upgrade to fixpack 11. It's not in the MTR's but might be worth a go if you run into problems. One server was Windows 2008, one was Red Hat Linux 5 update 1. So it seems WebSphere 7 fixpack 5 had issues on more than one host OS. Just my two cents.

Oh, I was on 9.0 / Tools 8.98.3.1.

Unitas99007

Actually, as of today, WS7 Fixpack 11 is in the MTR's -- I think it was just added this morning, as I had looked at them yesterday and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there yet.

Back