Track user logon / logoff

jerrodmw

Using A7.3 c12
Is there a report that I can run that will show me what time users logged in/out of the JD E system?

It would be nice if someone knows a better way, but you can track login and logout through the i5/OS History Log (QHST). It's been a couple of decades since i wrote queries against the log, but it is just a DB2 file,

The message looks like

Message ID . . . . . . : CPF1124
Date sent . . . . . . : 12/31/09 Time sent . . . . . . : 08:50:46

Message . . . . : Job 763999/LOGINID/QPADEV002V started on 12/31/09 at
08:50:46 in subsystem QINTER in QSYS. Job entered system on 12/31/09 at
08:50:46.
X

So you can pull records by the message number CPF1124. You'll have to figure put the details.

Should have mentioned you'll also need to find the logoff message to get the logout data.

There is nothing to track logging in and logging out of JDE itself. You have to go to the IBM OS/400 operating system for USER login and logoff i nformation. Normally this will be okay, but not always, depending on you r situation. For example, as a programmer, when I log in, I do NOT start in JDE - I start with the programmer's menu. Now I can start JDE and ex it JDE, and can even do that several times in the same session. So if yo u have users doing a combination of JDE and non-JDE work from the same OS /400 session, you will not get good JDE log in/log out information for th ose users. The operating system history log will contain the login/logou t information, but bear in mind that many other types of messages are log ged to the history log. You would probably need to write a program to pr ocess the history logs records and build your own file with log in/log ou t information, that you can then report off of. For a log in record, you would have to create a new record in your file, and with a log off, you would have to chain and update that record with the log off data. This i s something you may want to consider submitting an enhancement request to Oracle Support to have JDE log this information (perhaps a customer choi ce as to whether to activate or not activate). JDE is certainly actively seeking enhancement requests. Hope this helps a bit. Wish there was a better answer for you.

John Dickey
McCarthy Building Companies
St. Louis, MO 63124
314-919-2264
[email protected]

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of jerrodmw
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:02 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Track user logon / logoff

Using A7.3 c12
Is there a report that I can run that will show me what time users logged in/out of the JD E system?

Back