Changing Item Short Number

JorgeJDE

JorgeJDE

Hi List,

I wonder what could be the impact of changing the size of ITM from 8 digits to 15 digits in a live environment?

Has any one ever done something like this?

Regards,
Jorge

JDE OneWorld release B7334 on AS400

Hi Jorge,

Do not change the size of Short Item Number.
Neither in a before live, nor in a live system.

You should figure out an alternatve solution for your original issue.
If you share with us, why do you want to do it, then maybe JDEList can help you.

Regards,

Zoltán

Zoltan,
Thanks for the response. Basically, the company is reviewing the current product naming and classification. They're thinking of defining a unique item number at a lower level which will require them to enter a lot records in the F4101.

I personally think that defining more generic items and then use category codes to group the items at a lower level is a better approach. Maybe exploring the sales configurator can help, but we're still discussing all potential options.

I also don't understand why JDE defines ITM as 8 digit number and LITM as a string 25 which you could define 2nd item numbers for more than 100 million, would you know why?

I know that a 100 million item records is a lot, but what can a company do if it requires more than that?

Regards,
Jorge

Jorge,

As Zoltan said...if you can share with us the "why" it is needed perhaps we can help. Other than that....do not change any standard JDE data dictionary values!!!!!!...unless you are a masochist.

Barry

Jorge,

as to why 8 digits in the ITM field ... it's a holdover from JDE's older product - WORLD on the AS/400. They probably kept it that way because of co-existence customers. I agree that it is a small number in today's world where even a 32bit unsigned integer gets you 4 billion . . .

Also remember that the ITM field is intended to be an auto-sequence field - normally ITM numbers are not created by the user.

As others have already said, changing the size or data type of a widely used data dictionary field such as ITM is equivalent to committing suicide in a E1 implementation.

If your company/client truly needs that many part numbers then I would suggest that the wrong software package has been chosen.

Good luck,

I'm going to chime in with those who are telling you not to attempt this. I took a quick look in the Cross-Reference, and ITM is used in over 400 tables in JDE. My mind boggles at the thought of everything that touches those tables.

I am going to chime in as well. The short item is not your number - it is Oracles. They have given you LITM for the very thing you need. It has to be unique as well. Use it for the naming that you want.

Ben again,

Back