Duplicate Check Numbers

Bill Dotson

Reputable Poster
I know this topic has been discussed at least twice in the forums, but the story of the events from our AP department doesn't seem to quite match the discussions. This is mostly just performing due diligence in researching the problem, before I chalk this up to cosmic radiation or sunspots.

Last week, our AP department produced a batch of about 200 checks early in the day, and then a few hours later produced a second batch of 4 checks. The check numbers for the second batch overlapped the check numbers from the first batch, but not from the beginning (first range was 229756-229966, second was 229911-229914). The subsequent check runs continued numbering where the second batch left off, so we had a total of about 56 duplicate check numbers.

I've researched this, and verified that all of the check writing UBEs run in a single-threaded queue. I've also verified that the SAR that ensures unique batch numbers in F0413 has been applied. According to the print jobs in WSJ, the two batches were written over 2 hours apart. Lastly, I asked the AP supervisor if there was any chance that someone was entering manual checks while someone else was processing automatic payments. She assured me this was not the case.

So now I'm stumped: If two users in AP didn't step on each other while processing checks, then how else could this have happened? Does anyone have any ideas?

Did you check that these are automatic or manual checks? I recall a situation where we had the same digits for check numbers but it was actually for different check types. Another possibility would be did anyone accidentally reset the next number for the check by bank account? Hope this helps.

Morning,

Remember that when you are using Payment Groups to write checks you can
manually override the next cheque number - The screen to do this comes
up when the user clicks on "Write"for a payment group.

Colleen Biddlecombe
Manager: Enterprise Applications
Deloitte Consulting (Pty) Ltd

Mobile: +27 (0)83 273 9503
[email protected]
www.deloitte.com <http://www.deloitte.com/>

Deloitte Place
Building 4, Ground Floor
The Woodlands
Woodlands Drive
Woodmead
Gauteng