IBM WebSphere or Oracle Apllications Server?

Ray Justus

Reputable Poster
We are looking to upgrade to 8.12 next year from ERP 8.0. We do not have any current web interface. Does anyone out there have experience with both IBM WebSphere and Oracle Application Server that can shed some light on which is better to use and why?

We want to look at them from installation, ease of use and performance perspectives.

Wow - that is an excellent question, Ray.

Nobody has done an Oracle vs Websphere benchmark yet. Obviously, Websphere is more "mature" since it has been supported by JDE since 2000, but Oracle IS its own product.

Obviously, if you're an AS/400 user - you're going to be stuck with one platform type - but since Ray is a Windows user, he's going to be able to make a choice from three platform types (isn't Weblogic also in the list ?)

If anyone wants to pay me to run a benchmark between the two - I'll be all for it ! I think it'd be absolutely fascinating to see if there are any performance differences between the two platforms - especially since JAS servers are usually the butt of performance issues.

I'll eventually run a performance benchmark on my own back - it'll be fascinating I think

We have used Websphere for XE, 8.10, and 8.11. Installing the software has always been and adventure and never consistent. We just brought up 8.12 and decided to go with OAS. The installation of OAS was much easier and consistent. Several members of our team de-installed and re-installed with the same results. Something Websphere never seems to do.

I cannot speak for the performance because every individual instance of the software is used by an entirely different user base and contains different configurations (processors, memory, #users, different package build schedule etc)

Back