Interoperability

Ant

Does anyone know of the best way to query a third-party oracle database from within a OneWorld Interactive Form for validation purposes?
It must be real-time response.
I assumed that XML and ThinNet might be used but I have seen no examples of this technique being used from WITHIN OneWorld business functions to OUTSIDE OneWorld - only the other way round.

Thanks,

Anthony.

This is real easy to accomplish. Check out the post titled "SQL Server Views with JDE" dated 08/05/03. It was a detailed thread with the answers you are looking for. Best of luck, please respond if you have any questions.

I've been writing CDatabase based MFC dll programs to do queries. It's fast and easily portable, but unfortunately not functional on AS/400s.

Thanks for the link. It does indeed give me a really good starting point to suggest a solution.

I have got a question though -

This solution needs to run on both fat clients, citrix clients and html clients.
The first two are fine to use this concept as they are running on NT/2000 technology and can be set up with the required ODBC DSNs to allow oneworld to use them as foreign tables. However...
The JDE webserver in use is an AS400 running Websphere - can this be set up with the equivalent of the ODBC DSNs? If so, how is this achieved?

Unfortunately I fear I may have to scrap this solution altogether as I think that a client may see the set-up of direct ODBC connections to their Oracle database on all the client machines as a security risk!!

Good question, one I don't have an answer to. We are just beginning to upgrade from Xe to 8.10. With that upgrade, we will go to thin client for the first time. I asked my CNC guy and he couldn't give me an answer. I'm sure someone on the list should be able to outline how the database connectivity takes place between a JAS server and the backend databases.

Don't give up on the approach, I feel confident that the JAS server must be handling the connectivity for you. FWIW, I'll be in the same boat fairly soon. Let me know how you fair.

Thanks William,
I'm visiting the site where all this should be happening soon so I'll let you know my findings.

Back