Deploying packages to Deployment Server

patrickjolliffe

Something has been puzzling me for a little while.
When deploying packages, possible targets include deployment server, as well as client workstations and enterprise server.
What would happen if I chose to deploy a package to the deployment server - when would this be useful?
I was under the impression that only DEP7333 and JDEPLAN envirionments should be run on deployment server.

Patrick,

The tiered-deployment server option allows you to set up windows shares on other machines and push a package to them. These secondary deployment servers can then be used by client machines to install the packages deployed to them. This is especially usefull when trying to run fat clients at remote sites. If the remote site is connected at say 2 mbits you could deploy the package overnight to the secondary deployment server. The users at the remote site could then install from that secondary server utilising local LAN speeds.

I have not used this often but it works fine. Look for multi-tier deployment in the JDE manuals for more information.

Regards,

Patrick

I never deploy packages to my primary deployment server. Right now all of our client workstations are fat clients. I do however deploy full packages to my secondary deployment server which I use to burn CD's. I build all my packages on my pc.

Patty

Back