Data Dictionary JITI Question

alexanac

I need some clarification on this issue to calm my brain. Let me lay out a few scenerios related to data dictionary refreshes and explain my understanding of them. Please correct me if necessary. Our system is OW 733.2, HP9000, Oracle 8.1.5. The issue is that there is row security that acts differently in PD compared to all other environments. There are two enterprise servers (HP9000) and PD resides on its own server so a DD/Glbltbl refresh seemed to be in order for the PD server. This was done and did not help the issue.

1. If the DD/Glbltbl files are deleted from the server spec folder (JDE is shut down) and then brought back down when the services are re-started, these are JITI'ed from the deployment server spec files for that environment - correct? It does not actually re-build these files, but simply copies them down.

2. To actually get a NEW set of DD/glbltbl files onto the server, you must generate thse files from a workstation with R92TAM/R98CRTGL and TAMFTP these files to the enterprise server. If #1 is correct, one could also copy these new files to the deployment server and allow the enterprise server to JITI them from there.

Is there anything I am missing here? I'm trying to make sure the server specs are properly updated before I look too far into this issue.

Thanks!

alexanac

1) The jiti-ed objects come from central objects not the deployment server.

2) The spec files generated by R92TAM/R98CRTGL are workstation specs not server specs.

If you delete the specs on the server they are recreated via JITI.

Have fun.

David,
Could you explain further ? In the past (okay, it was a while ago) I was instructed to run the R92TAM/R98CRTGL (at least that sounds like the right ones) by Denver in order to create a set of specs on the workstation so they could be FTP'd over to the enterprise server to correct corrupted specs
I have never heard that you could just delete all server specs and expect them to be automatically refreshed when some part of One World discovered they were missing.
Regards, Dave

ps: central objects may also reside on the deployment server if desired, right ?

Not all server specs. I've deleted the DDTEXT, DDDICT and GLBLTBL specs on the server to either eliminate "coruption" or assure that the DD and table definitions within were upto date. I think you'll find that deploying a full package to your enterprise or application server deletes these spec files as well. After deploying they are quite small and start to grow as more jobs are run. You also will not find them in the package directory with the other spec files.

I had another consultant try to show me how TAMFTP was used to move specs to the server but it seemed like to much trouble when a full package would do the same thing.

Yes, if you run SQL on your deployment server your central objects could reside there. None of my clients are set up this way.

Back