Limited Access

Soul Glo

Soul Glo

VIP Member
Hi,

We are wanting to give our consigned warehouses limited access to our system. We don't want to use. Can someone give me some inofrmation on how best to accomplish this. Will a JAS server be the way to go and can anyone give me some information as to what exactly JAS accomplishes. I looked on the KG but all I found was the install guide...I guess I would like to know more details.

By limited access, do you mean limited to OneWorld? It seems to me that since you are already using WTS, you could lock down the desktop for a warehouse user.

Also, are you using Citrix? One of the great advantages to using Citrix MetaFrame on top of Terminal Server is that you can create a "Published Application" so that a warehouse user does not get to see anything except OneWorld (no Windows desktop, no Start button, no Internet Explorer). Another good thing about this is that you now don't have to give the warehouse users a real PC. I have a client who runs a few Citrix servers and puts $500 Wyse WinTerms (running Windows CE) in their assembly line ...

To answer the other part of your question, the JAS server serves out the OneWorld Java and Web clients. You need Websphere and IIS. It's another thin client solution, but you have to request (and purchase) the JAS software from JDE.

Either way, you will be spending money on additional hardware, and software (if you don't already have Citrix).

We are already using thin client and some wyse terminals....what we would like to do is give them access vai a web interface and not have ti use citrix cals. We do have websphere on the 400 (not configured)....I guess we would prefer they use the equiptment they already and utilize our web pipe as opposed to using the WAN.

Any advice would be welcome

Again, the problem is cost. Not only is there the software cost of buying the JAS software, you will take a performance cost if you get WebSphere running on your AS/400. WebSphere takes up a ton of CPW ...

Back