Backup option in software updates

DCD

I am having a problem with the time required to run backup option in Software updates. After reading previous posts on the subject I have seen a recommendation to not use the backup option.
My question then is, can someone tell me exactly what the backup function does create a backup of?
Should I create copies of the affected libraries an directories, or should I simply have a full backup of the system from which to restore if needed?
Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

DCD
Xe Update 3 SP17.1_F.1
AS400 w/Central Objects
W2K Deployment Server

Personally I would have a full backup of the Deployment server and ES. That way I feel comfortable with a restore if it was needed.

Jeremey Garcia
Greenville, SC, USA
Xe SP14; ES - AS/400; CO - AS/400; Deploy - NT Citrix - NT SP6; Report Distribution - Formscape;

If you've ever had to back out a bad ESU, you'd appreciate the backup process. The backup process creates a backup of all affected objects from your live environment. If you have a backup, you can back out the ESU object revisions. Without one, you can't. Whoever advised you to skip the backup was giving you bad advice.

Ray Justus
Kitchell Corp
Phoenix, AZ
602-631-6157
XeSP16.1
ES,DS,WTS: NT4SP6a
WS: NT4SP6a, W2KSP2, Citrix1.8SP3
DB: SQL7SP2HF851

JDE Response line said if you have an ESU w/ more then 100 objects backup operation will not work. This is on an Xe system.

Jeremey Garcia
Greenville, SC, USA
Xe SP14; ES - AS/400; CO - AS/400; Deploy - NT Citrix - NT SP6; Report Distribution - Formscape;

As a clarification, the backup option will only create a backup of the objects that the ESU affects, for the pathcode you are applying the ESU to. So, if you apply an ESU tp PY that only affects R0006P, and you select the backup option, the R0006P in PY will be the only thing that gets backed up. I agree that the BACKUP option is a good idea. But, you should also being taking full backups of your Central Objects databases.

Matthew Scott
XE, SP 17.1, AS/400, Win2000 Logic Servers, Win2000 Term. Servers, Win2000 Java Servers, Central Objects in Oracle.

What about when applying Updates. I spoke with JDE support and they are now recommending that you do not use the backup option when applying updates, even Update 4.
Does this change anything, or are we just looking at a longer run time due to the large number of objects affected.

DCD
Xe Update 3 SP17.1_F.1
AS400 w/Central Objects
W2K Deployment Server

We do the Backups in the Development environment only figuring we can promote to the other enviroments if the need arises. Update 3 backed up 410 objects on our system. We haven't applied Update 4 yet. We want the ability to go back, if necessary. Better safe than sorry.

Ray Justus
Kitchell Corp
Phoenix, AZ
602-631-6157
XeSP16.1

Ray,

how long did the backup portion of the ESU run?

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials

Hello DCD,

during the backup, the system checks, which objects are changed and
generates a backup-directory which contains .C and .H. Files and an access-database
which contains the changed central-objects. When you do then a restore, the
backuped-files and central-objects are restored. Any new objects are not
deleted and are still on your system.
Regards
Herbert Sickel

Supporting several XE-Sites on

a
http://www.jdelist.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=29499

--
GMX - Die Kommunikationsplattform im Internet.
http://www.gmx.net

Herbert Sickel
XE at several sites, w MS-SQL2000, Oracle, WIN-NT, WIN2000, Metaframe

I have heard that the backup process works correctly in SP18 including the back up of GT objects. I have not witnessed this personally mind you.

Ger

Currently OneWorld B7332/Xe Windows NT SQL 7.0 Server SP3/ Citrix XP (Experienced on all platforms)

DCD :

If I were working on an ideal environment with an utopical ERP, would
recommend you to use ESU Backup option.
But... it actually doesn't work reliably on ESUs with a large number
of objects (let's say > 200).
Problem is that it saves objects Central Objects specs on a local Access
MDB database.
It also saves .C code on an NT directory, but that part is working fine.
For example, after installing U2 for the first time (not Bono songs :) ,
just Update 2) I realized that I was left with a 950 Mb MDB database that
even my 512 Mb RAM Deployment couldn't open!
ESU Backup works quite fine for small ESUs, but if you plan to install
a large ESU or ASU, it's safer to backup the following :

a) Central Objects for that Environment.
b) SYS7333 and OBJ7333 tables.
c) \b7333\Planner folder.
d) \B7333\pathcode on the Deployment.

The only 'con' of this solution is that you save everything, not just
the affected objects.

Sebastian Sajaroff

Larry,

The backup process was started at 9:43 AM and finished at 1:22 PM so, if my math is right, it ran for 3 hours and 39 minutes. There were a total of 458 objects backed up.

Ray Justus
Kitchell Corp
Phoenix, AZ
602-631-6157
XeSP16.1

I had said previously that 410 objects backed up. That number was for the Year End Payroll ESU.

Ray Justus
Kitchell Corp
Phoenix, AZ
602-631-6157
XeSP16.1

Back