SQLPKG related question

cncjay

Well Known Member
We are running iSeries as our backend database. Rest of E1 runs on windows platform. E1 is 9.0 Tools 8.98.3.1

Question1:
How often are you guys deleting your SQLPKGs?

At present, we are deleting them once a week but we are seeing corruption more frequently and leaning towards deleting them nightly.

The concern is that we have heavy scheduler activity starting at 6pm PST to 6am PST so what will be the impact if the SQLPKG's are deleted while there are UBE's running

Thank you,

We delete ours nightly but this is only the packages beginning with T and O in the QRECOVERY library. The other fairly static packages in the other E1 libraries do not get deleted unless we put down a tools release.

We delete ours when we do a full package so about quarterly. We delete the QRECOVERY/R* packages when we are having issue with a specific UBE (along with the related cached specs in the IFS) I also have the packages created in QTEMP for the JAS instances so they get deleted when I cycle the instance.

Tom
JDE 8.12 AS/400 Win 2K3 OAS Tools 8.98.3.4

[ QUOTE ]
We delete ours nightly but this is only the packages beginning with T and O in the QRECOVERY library.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should change the SQL Package Library=1 in the [DB SYSTEM SETTINGS] section of your JDE.INI so you don't get so many "T" SQL packages. It sounds like you are getting a SQL package for every JDE process id which really doesn't help. If you change it to a 1 you will get one for each UBE template job so they can actually get reused every time a specific UBE runs.

Thank you for the feedback, it is very helpful.

Since we run all our logic/bsfn on windows boxes, and the iSeries is serving just as a database, the SQLPKGs are creating in the DTA and CTL libraries. We also have SQLPKG's in the JDE system libraries as well. We are able to delete those, using a CL script..

I am still wondering would would be the impact if I deleted all the SQLPKGs while there are several UBE's running - what would be the impact on the UBE and the system ?

thanks,

[ QUOTE ]
[You should change the SQL Package Library=1 in the [DB SYSTEM SETTINGS] section of your JDE.INI so you don't get so many "T" SQL packages. It sounds like you are getting a SQL package for every JDE process id which really doesn't help. If you change it to a 1 you will get one for each UBE template job so they can actually get reused every time a specific UBE runs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip. It was set to 2. Setting it to 1 in our test system and testing it out now.

We stop our services nightly when we delete SQLPKG. I've had UBEs fail when trying to clean up packages while people are signed on and working. I wouldn't recommend doing that.

In theory the packages should be locked when in use. But my results have varied, it might be related to OS level. I know at 5.4 the locking was taking place. But I make sure the UBE isn't running when I delete them anyway.

Tom

Thank you for all the feedback. Given our scenario, the nightly outage is not possible since the scheduler is running jobs most of the night.

We might consider NOT using SQLPKG by turning off "Extended Package Support". I realize there could be a performance hit though reading some of the previous treads on that topic, it appears to be a hit or miss. Some didn't notice any difference in their system performance by turning it off. I can certainly test that out in non-production but the user load / activity is not enough to get a true picture of what we might see in production.

Regards,

Back