Oracle RAC

seth_678

Good day,

We currently have two instances of JDE running. We have JDE XE and 8.11 running on separate servers. We want to combine both db's into one instance. Has anybody come across this scenario. Is this possible?

Thank you

Yes. It is absolutely possible. BUT, it is a lot of work - consolidating two companies.

First of all, the advantage you have is that the data model is relatively similar across the board, especially with financials. However, most functional people will extract the information using the Z tables and repopulate the other database with that information.

Sounds simple, but unfortunately it isn't.

You see, most of the data in one system will "step" on data in the other - for example, both systems might have used "10001" as an address book number - and they probably point to different AB information. User Defined Codes in one system might be used differently compared to the other. So while technically, moving the data from one side to the other isn't too difficult a challenge - it is much more difficult matching the information between the two systems.

However, consolidations do happen - I am often involved in consolidating organizations after takeover situations - but it requires a lot of functional knowledge about the data. Hope that helps.

Based on the title of this thread, should we assume that when you say consolidate db's you mean db servers and not db schema / data?

Some people interpret db=schema and some people interpret db=box.

Seth

Yes you consolidate two seperate database instances on to one database server. Oracle RAC can do a nice job of giving you active / active database serving. RAC is very expensive. You get multiple databases on Oracle Standard. If you cluster that in active / passive mode with fail safe. That is a much less pricey option to consider.

Gregg

The hardware platform will be Dell Poweredge 1950's, and Linux Enterprise Server 5 64bit.

Regards

Hi All,

Thanks for the help. Oracle contacted me and informed me that I can’t run 2 separate instances in one instance. Even if I change schema names and datasources, they can’t guarantee that it will work.

Regards,

Back