PsExec and RUNUBE.exe / Remote UBE Execution

John Clausen

John Clausen

Anyone have any success running psexec.exe to lanunch runube.exe? If so any insights? Have any of you folks found a way to remotely execute UBE's via SQL or cmd line?

Thanks in advance.

I have used psexec to launch UBEs before and found it worked just fine. Here was my situation. I was running RevScheduler which has modules that run on an AS/400 and a Windows machine. We had the scheduler licensed on the Windows machine which was an E1 application server. So that I didn't have to buy multiple licenses and install the scheduler on all of my app servers, I used PSEXEC to launch the UBEs on the alternate app servers and this scenario ended up working great. The scheduler would report back to me upon their completion and I could even set dependencies to launch AS/400 jobs once the windows jobs, even those on a different app server, completed successfully.

There are many ways of performing the remote execution of UBE's including PSExec, inserting records into the job scheduler table and using SQL extended stored procedures. Unfortunately, most of these are hard to support.
A simpler solution is to use an enterprise job scheduler. Tidal and Appworx are both expensive albeit robust tools for the job, but you can also use a less expensive tool like ActiveBatch.

Back