Remote Development Citrix

tmackin

Reputable Poster
I am the sole developer at our company and have asked to be allowed to develop remotely over a VPN on the Citrix server (Northeast winters!). I have been told that to do this I would have to have administrator rights to the Citrix server and that would be a problem. I have reviewed a number of posts on this subject and found no reference to this fact.

Could some one verify this restriction for me (or disavow it)??

TIA

Tim,

Is this citrix server also being used by users? if so, that's a problem. While you are developing, you will be making changes to, and locking the specs. You will run into contention with your users. A far better solution for a sole developer is to have a windows XP workstation in the office for development. Use the VPN to do a remote connection to that workstation. It's simple, cheap, and safe.

Gregg

I would recommend using VMWare and build multiple development partitions. However, if you are pre-8.11, you could create multiple developer instances on the Citrix box and it would work fine. There is a paper that Altquark wrote on the subject that helped get us started when we were on Xe.

In regards to the issue with admin rights, I believe there are ways to unrestrict the specific registry entries for the developers. I have found it easier and cheaper to setup additional boxes than to spend the time to sort all this out.

[ QUOTE ]
I am the sole developer at our company and have asked to be allowed to develop remotely over a VPN on the Citrix server (Northeast winters!). I have been told that to do this I would have to have administrator rights to the Citrix server and that would be a problem. I have reviewed a number of posts on this subject and found no reference to this fact.

Could some one verify this restriction for me (or disavow it)??

TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need administrator rights. Look for my whitepaper on my website that explains how to set up development under citrix for Xe/ERP8.0. It works extremely well - but it does require quite a bit of disk space to set up (each user has their own set of specs).

I have set up a remote developer citrix box at my last employer and it is probably similar to Jon's document. I can claim that I did not have to give the developers admin rights to the server for it to work. Attached is the doc I followed for setting permissions.

Attachments

• 128454-OneWorld TSE Permissions.pdf
    456.9 KB · Views: 104
Not to be a contrarian, ok, I guess I am, but reread his post. He is the "sole developer." Setting up citrix or vm for one person is like using a canon to swat a fly.

Buy a PC with windows xp, load up the fat client, give him admin rights on the PC, and then connect to it remotely. Any PC or laptop with XP or better has Remote Desktop Admin already loaded on it.

if you don't want to use that, you can use pc anywhere, dameware, go to my pc, vnc and more.

Your right. My bad. I skimmed the post and saw "development" and "Citrix".

tmackin - What Greg suggests is probably best, easiest, safest, and possibly most cost effective when you factor in time to troubleshoot access problems without admin permissions.

You're right.

I didn't see that. Heres my nice solution for a single remote developer. Use VMWare Server - I like to put this onto the deployment server and set up a virtual workstation - then I install www.logmein.com onto the remote workstation.

I love logmein.com - it is better than gotomypc - and its FREE ! It works with package builds and all sorts of development - so you can ignore the old issues with VNC and Dameware that used to occur. It is also VERY secure and reliable - it even works on pocket-pc phones and, I believe, there is a version for iPhones now too ! So you can be completely remote and able to connect in to, for example, build a package or tweak some code !

Citrix Development is good for a large remote team of developers - for example, if you have an offshore development team - but for a single developer - its not worth it.

The beauty of VMware is that you can make multiple copies of your VMWare workstation at will, so if you have 3 developers - make two copies of the original machine and change the network IP and name !

Hope that helps !

Back