Upgrading to 8.97 with Server Manager

jhjvdm

Consider following configuration:

Deployment Server on TR 8.97.02, Enterprise Server on 8.96.
OAS Server on 8.96. I was able to upgrade the Deployment Server in the conventional way via Setup.exe. Since the other servers can only be upgraded thru Server Manager, I installed that product using the downloaded Server Manager Guide. Configuration was not diffcult, the guide is pretty clear on that topic. I now want to upgrade the Enterprise Server to 8.97 using Server Manager and the same applies to the Web Server. But I don't seem to be able to find documentation on how to do that. Has anyone gone thru this process yet? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank You!

Joop van der Meer - NL

Hi,
We installed the TR 8.97 on Deployment ,Enterprise and JAS servers.
First install the Agent on Enterprise server,then start the agent ,then the server manager console automatically detects the Enterprise server Agent.then you can install the TR 8.97 using Server manager console to the ENT Server.

Regards,
Penchal.M

I'm having trouble with the documentation for server manager.

Can you go into a little more detail as to how exactly one installs software on the enterprise server through server manager?

Thank you.

I was also having trouble with the (missing??) documentation.

To upgrade my "test" enterprise server I just extracted the contents of the tools release and used this to create a new system folder on my server. Then I just needed to copy in my original jde.ini before I could start the network services. Everything seems to be working as expected so far.

Note: The jde.ini shipped with 8.97 contains new parameters that can be copied across to the original.

Yippee!!! I found the right chapter in the server manager guide for updating the service pack!

I have now used SM to deploy the service pack to my test enterprise server and I hope this summary helps a bit. Its very easy when you know how...

1. Installed the server manager and the agent on the enterprise server.
2. Created a managed instance for my enterprise server in SM. PAGE 157.
3. Loaded the enterprise server component of the tools release into SM. PAGE 106.
4. Use the change button described on PAGE 115 of the SM manual to install the tools release. Voila!
5. You can monitor the progress of the install by looking at the agent install directory on the enterprise server. E.g. C:\JDE_HOME\logs - I had to double check the logs to make sure the install had gone ok because it was so quick and easy in the end!

Make your own back up of the system directory before you start because SM does not seem to do this......

Next is the JAS upgrade. Maybe I am going senile... but the JAS tools release component does not seem to be where I used to find it on the KG. It has been moved under the "multiplatform" category. I only found it by searching for 897J01.

I have extracted the file and there is no nice setup.exe for installing JAS but the .ear file "could" be imported into OAS using the Oracle Enterprise Manager. I imagine the process is just like that for upgrading the enterprise server but I am going to trawl through the 646 pages of the SM guide for the right chapter this evening and hopefully will install tomorrow. If I have any info I will update.
Cheers
D

Back