e812

Alex_Pastuhov

Alex_Pastuhov

Legendary Poster
As you may already know, E812 has finally been released.

Now, has anyone managed to install E812 Standalone?

In my first attempt at installing it, the Setup is giving me a series of empty [error?] messages (that is: literally - empty pop-up boxes with "OK" and "CANCEL" buttons). Pressing OK just brings up the next one until I click CANCEL and then it quits... ;-(

[ QUOTE ]
In my first attempt at installing it, the Setup is giving me a series of empty [error?] messages (that is: literally - empty pop-up boxes with "OK" and "CANCEL" buttons). Pressing OK just brings up the next one until I click CANCEL and then it quits... ;-(

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? wow, someone did a bangup job of quality testing... Great first impression
grin.gif

I have yet to hear of anyone successfully installing the 8.12 standalone. I know of two other consultants that get the blank error message... and guess what, I get the blank error message, too!

That said - four out of four cannot install.

I know of a couple consultants that have installed the 'full' release on their sandbox/labs - and have said that it appeared faster and the installation went smoother than other releases.

(db)

Yes, QA is not what it used to be...

Well, at least the client/server installs. Possibly, a bit better than E811, but certainly much slower and clumsier than E810, if you ask me.

Interestingly, the Licensing has changed - Standalone can now be used for practically anything, it seems.

HEY Larkin!!! Just cus they didn't have time to finish the install program just "right", don't start bad mouthin' them. They were in a rush to get out to go skydiving!

Getting there. With the full version, that is. Gave up on Standalone for now - let them fix it.

[ QUOTE ]
HEY Larkin!!! Just cus they didn't have time to finish the install program just "right", don't start bad mouthin' them. They were in a rush to get out to go skydiving!

[/ QUOTE ]

with or without the parachutes?
confused.gif

> with or without the parachutes?
Oups!..

At least the software is properly Oracle-branded now and the User ID is back to JDE - no PSFT ;-)

Yep - and you don't have to go to 8.12 to get the Oracle branding. Just take 8.96. My years long dream of hearing "PeopleSoft crashed" may finally be coming to a close. Now it will be "Oracle is locking up again", and rightly so.

You guys are so mean. I am so eager to put my live users on 8.96_A1 just to see the oracle logos and xml specs.
I heard the A1 oneoffs are always completely bug-free. Due to the same skydiving rush
grin.gif
I think we hould give them credit; they didn't finish the standalone only because they were working so hard on the real deal.

After working with support, I was finally able to get the 8.12 Standalone to install. The install was built to run from a single DVD, but they broke it up into 3 pieces for the edelivery site so that would fit onto CDs instead.

To make it work:
1. Create a folder on your desktop (\desktop\812DEMO or whatever)
2. Unzip install 1 of 3 into the new folder
3. Unzip install 2 of 3 into the same folder
4. Unzip install 3 of 3 into the same folder
5. When complete, your new folder should include:
- BaseComponents (folder)
- DataComponents-English (folder)
- InstallManager.exe
- InstallManager.ico
- InstallManager.ini
- Readme.txt
6. Run InstallManager.exe

Follow the install instructions (available on Customer Connection) from there and it should install normally.

NOTE: For some reason, the login screen defaults with the "options" pane open, and the "Security Setup" dialog opens up behind the login pane - so if you try to log in you will get a "security server not found" error. You have to collapse the "options" pane in order to get to the security setup.

Hope this helps...

Kelly Meade
J. R. Simplot Company
XE sp23

I'm sorry I didn't post this solution earlier - after figuring this out, I was still having issues with it and was hoping to resolve them before posting the "final resolution".

Past the initial installation problem, JDE gives me a warning about JDK being incorrectly installed (which it's presumably supposed to install itself) and finally, when starting up the ActivConsole.exe, after logging-in, it pops up an error about being unable to find "..\..\..\JDK\BIN" - do you get the same error?

Similarly, when installing the WEB Development Feature separately (it's not clear, if the main setup attempts to install it itself or not), I get a similar JDK-related error.

You'd think the "standalone install" would include everything, that doesn't seem to be the case. Fortunately, the install documentation walks through all the steps (once you get past the unzipping issue). Unfortunately, the edelivery site doesn't include the demo install pdf, for some baffling reason - I had to dig through the Customer Connection to find it... I've attached the install documentation for your information.

The JDK has to be installed manually after the 8.12 install, and it has to be installed to a folder you create at C:\E812\system\JDK, which is not the default directory for a 'normal' JDK installation.

There are actually 3 "special" things you have to do in addition to the demo install in order for it to work:
1. Copy the jdbj.ini from Base Components\Client (from the install folder) to C:\E812\system\oc4j\j2ee\home\applications\webclient.ear\webclient\WEB-INF\classes (if there is one there already, overwrite it)
2. Copy 3 JDBC drivers (msbase.jar, mssqlserver.jar, and msutil.jar) to C:\E812\system\oc4j\j2ee\home\applib
3. Install JDK to the 'custom' location as described above. (be sure it is the SDK version)

It's odd that these aren't handled by the install, but I'm guessing they will be in a later version.

Once I did all of these steps, everything appeared to work fine, other than the security error I mentioned in my post.

Good Luck!

Kelly Meade
J. R. Simplot Company
XE sp23 - AS400

Attachments

• 107002-812 Standalone Installation.pdf
    392.5 KB · Views: 161
Hi,

I followed all the processes you mentioned to install E812 Standalone but I encountered an Event Rules Error: "An ER line caused a memory violation. ER Debugger will stop at the ER line. Application:p98SEC Event: Button Clicked."

Thanx,
pinattsu
phils.

Attachments

• 109387-E812.doc
    501.5 KB · Views: 122
Back