activeconsole citrix problem

digiraven

Well I'm having to write this again since I'm not sure what happen to the last thread I've wrote. So here it goes. Have any of you experience a problem where at any given time and any user without notice that the activeconsole uses up to 25% of the cpu on the terminal server? I am using windows 2000 sp4 server with citrix metaframe xp sp4 and JDE erp 8 sp23. The user could just be sitting there, entering transactions, or just browesing and for some unforeseen event the activeconsole decides to go crazy on citrix. This locks up that particular user and slows down the rest of the company. Remind you this happens randomly to any user in my computer. I am out of resources on how to figure this out and I am wondering has anyone seen anything like this? I put a help ticket with JDE and they have no idea as well. go figure.
Any help would be great. thanks

I assume you are running as a Published Ap on Citrix? are you doing load balancing? How many users are on when you see this happen? How robust are your Citrix servers? We are 8.10 with less than 6 Fat Clients and about 100 users. Normally though I see an average of around 15 per server (5 servers) and very brief spikes to around 13-15 %. But never hanging. Users do get them selves locked up by not exiting properly but that is simply a matter of resetting them. Anyway, not sure that is much help but that is my experience.

Are you using Published application or are you using PNAgent? What release of MetaFrame Xp are you using. Did you go throught all the registry adjustments that is a part of metaframe Xp SP4, have you checked citrix to see if there is a hotfix for this issue?

We get spikes all the time in our Citrix enviornment.

To troubleshoot these spikes, get the process viewer from www.sysinternals.com and monitor the processes. What I've found is that activConsole.exe spikes (so it's a EO process running inside the application) and drags down the rest of the users on the box. Being that I can see the process, I can also see the user so I end up calling the user and finding out what they are doing. For me, most cases have been porly written code or the user is querying 50 gazillion documents off on the 400.

All in all, throughout the entire process, I've really learned that if you want to run EO in a citrix enviornment, you need the horsepower to do it.
frown.gif

Hi Brian,
There are far too many Tooks available in the link that u gave (Processes and Threads section) .. what was the exact utility that u used to monitor the processes in citrix ? That would be of great help to all ... Thanks
smile.gif

some of the JDE (standard) applications are known to spike CPU, without apparent reason. Have you called the users when this happens to see the open applications? Have them close all applications one by one and monitor CPU to find the troublesome application. It could be poorly written code or it could be processing lots and lots of records.

Back