Increasing grid from 10 to 100

Jaise James

Reputable Poster
Hello,

I have question, if I increase the grid from 10 to 100 , what is the effect it have on the DB performance .
When we use it in Fat/Citrix client it does a fetch of all records any ways. So what difference will it make if I make this to 100 or even higher number for HTML.

Has any one seen any performance degradation or any other issue.

Hello nick,

What version of OneWorld do you use ?

I work with Xe (SP20) and even in fat client, i'm not sure it does a fetch of all records, because you can see it search when you get at the end of grid to get more data. I didn't check the jdedebug but you can probably see it.

About increasing the number of lines in grid, it has an impact on html client, depending on the form used.
I don't know exaclty if it's a real db performance impact, but surely on display performance on the html client.
In some forms, we tried to increase grid lines from 10 to 50 and had to get back to 10 because the dispaly time was too long. But in some others, it didn't change much.
It's probably depending on how is designed the form and from where are get the data (from a simple file, or from multiple files, with which indexes, ...). Also with some specific html properties you can define on form design (about refresh, ...).

Hope this help,

Rgds,

Hi Nick,

Increasing the number of rows displayed can cause slower speeds in the HTML client due to the amount of data in the grid that the browser has to process. Its called grid rendering and it will have a major impact on lower end PCs. The performance will increase as the processor speed of the PC increases.

Oracle knows of this issue and all they can recommend is that users be trained to use customized grids to limit the number of columns.

I wouldn't put much stock in the MTR for web clients.

Back